Otter board/lathe

Has anybody ever come across (or used) these for fishing :whistling:

If you have any info or stories relating to the use of these then please share them, thanks mike

we use them when we are salmon fishing they are about 6" diamiter with a hole in the middle with a saw cut from the outside to the middle for your line then a rubber tie to cover the saw cut once your line is through the center. you let them slide down your line in to the water and in fast flowing streem they slide down to the hook and release your hook if its snagged. they work very well but some say the will frighten the salmon off there lie, but iv used them loads and have caught only a few casts later. good luck

Hi,

An otter board or lathe is, usually, a piece of wood about 12" X 8" with a lead strip along one of the long edges to help it sit upright in the water. It is attached to a long line used to pay out lures, flies or whatever, that are suspended by another length of line from the board. The board can be directed/guided to where you want using wind or current and by using the long line as a control. It is illegal and regarded as a prohibited instrument in England and Wales. What 'Main Man' is referring to is, in my neck of the woods, called an otter and as he says used to help release snagged hooks. Two totally different pieces of kit. Seeing as you said Otter Board or Lathe I presume you mean the item I described first .

Cheers

Edited by abailiff
Hi,

An otter board or lathe is, usually, a piece of wood about 12" X 8" with a lead strip along one of the long edges to help it sit upright in the water. It is attached to a long line used to pay out lures, flies or whatever, that are suspended by another length of line from the board. The board can be directed/guided to where you want using wind or current and by using the long line as a control. It is illegal and regarded as a prohibited instrument in England and Wales. What 'Main Man' is referring to is, in my neck of the woods, called an otter and as he says used to help release snagged hooks. Two totally different pieces of kit. Seeing as you said Otter Board or Lathe I presume you mean the item I described first .

Cheers

thats exactly what an otter board is ;) very effective in covering dificult areas and even going against the current iv know a few people use them on lakes to good effect but they are illegal :(

because you could clear a fishery in a night if you knew what you were doing it is extreme poaching to most fishery owners probably banned when it was used in this manor threw greed rather than used to feed a family its like some of the old methods used for pheasants.

Thanks for the input lads. I am reffering to the one used by poachers not the one used to clear snagged hooks. How come they are more effective than one man with a rod - is it just the number of hooks on the board, as in theory if you tye 10 baited hooks to the otter board it is 10 times more likely to catch than the man with 1 hook on his rod :hmm:

because you could clear a fishery in a night if you knew what you were doing it is extreme poaching to most fishery owners probably banned when it was used in this manor threw greed rather than used to feed a family its like some of the old methods used for pheasants.

You can clear fisheries lots of other ways too and alot more effectively :yes: But surely It's the place In which It's used rather than the otter board or type of fishing that should be banned?

• 2 weeks later...

You can clear fisheries lots of other ways too and alot more effectively :yes: But surely It's the place In which It's used rather than the otter board or type of fishing that should be banned?

They were used a lot on bigger places that other techniques might not of worked maty. I've seen some boards carrying 30 + flies and lures. They were a lot easier to use if you had someone un hooking for you that way you could cover a fair old distance in a night.

Guest rexdigger

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

You knows It lol.

Fair point NN. I still can't see them being the ultimate but I've nevr seen one used. On the plus side I bet there free to make or at least cheap. Then If you loose It It won't be too much of a ball ache.