Harvesting the crops ?

Hi all

As ive only been pigeon shooting for a few months i was just wondering when the farmers begin to cut down their crops.

Where i shoot at present , all the crops are too high for me to use the decoys , therefore , i find myself sitting in the edge of a field somewhere hoping to ambush a passing bird ( without much success i may add )

It seems pretty clear to me that when the harvesting begins , the woodies should be out in their numbers , looking for an easy meal ,

John :unsure:

Edited by mjr88

Before they cut them you have the chance of barley/wheat etc that is flat & the doos go daft on this. Its known as laid crop up here or flatend crop from rain & wind in parts of the field & you get get some good bags off this type of shooting & you dont need much gear as to keep an unclutterd pattern for the doos to land just reconisize them & bingo. As for barley its bad news for the dogs with the ears of the crop & more so on spaniel as it will jump/spring about in it & get it ears/nose etc. The picking up part is hard due to crop unless you have a good sized flattend crop ie 50ft-80+ft square or so to give you scope to drop birds in.

AS for cut crops it varys from south to north & crop we see end of july to september for our crops.