A pair of bucks

Was out last night for a stalk, proved once again a productive outing.

It had been raining pretty heavily about dinner time, but rain went off about 6pm- perfect as it would draw the deer out to feed. We have been seeing alot of movement earlier than the times we usually expect, so decided to head off about 6.15pm. We hadn't even made it out of the garden when we glassed a figure in the distance at edge of wood in a barley field, this would be our first priority. So after negotiating a few fields and a hedge, we were now probably about 600 yards from where we expected the deer to be. However in the time it had taken us, a doe had appeared directly between us- dilema! We aren't getting round the doe without her smelling or spotting us, so no option but to make our presence known. However when we did this, guess what, she ran straight at the buck and scared it away aswell. So onwards and upwards.

We now entered the wood to there is lots of signs bucks, litterally hundreds of small bushes and trees damaged by the bucks rubbing against them, however the most pleasing thing was the signs off red deer, both droppings and puckles of coarse hair on known crossing points. We sat in a lightly densed wood and within about 10 mins this little one decided to come out to feed on the lush grass. He was dropped on the spot at about 80 yards with a neck shot. He was still in full velvet and a prime beast for us to take. After we had gralloched him we headed for base camp, cleaned it and hung it up.

kylefone1002.jpg

After a quick snack we headed off again, now about half past 8. We decided to try a different place a few miles away. After we parked the truck, we stalked through the wood, seeing a full 7 does on route. We got ourselves into position on a small rise looking over about an 8 acre field. Sure enough we didn't have to wait long before a roe showed itself. However again just a doe, so no use, we moved on as midgets were on an epidemic! We were now walking through a muddy patch where cows feed when i glassed through a few trees in front off me. All i could see was a massive white rear lookin at me, however I didn't really know whether it was a cow or red deer from that distance. I handed over to my uncle for a look, he confirmed it was a red, with only its rear on show. We stalked quietly, crawling the last 50 yards to get in position behing a big tree to get a better vantage point. Sure enough it was a red, however was a hind, but also had a young calf, looked litterally a week old. The hind knew something wasn't quite right as wind wasn't in our favour, so didn't hang around long. However delighted again that more reds are in the area. We waited only a further 5 mins before moving on, however we only got about 20 yards when we dropped down as a good roebuck was feeding in a dip maybe 100 yards infront. I extended the bipods to full extension and edged myself forward. The buck knew something was there, so had his head risen as soon as i had him in view, I only had few seconds, he turned his head and took few steps, he would go no further although he was considering it, he was dropped with the 243.

kylefone1001.jpg

All in all a good evening, second buck was 17kg at the butchers, so good weight for our area. Also a bonus- took a dog fox this morning, stupid f****r ran at us, and just seemed to keep running directly at us without knowing, he was almost too close as i took time to get him in focus with the rifle. Taken right between the eyeballs head on.