Roe Stalking

Hi,

This may seem a bit of a silly question but I'm relatively new to stalking.

I have permission to shoot on two farms ( East Sussex ) and have seen Roe Does and Bucks on one and evidence of a Buck on another. I have heard that as there are few Roe around I shouldn't shoot any. How do I gauge what the population is and can I shoot any bucks without fear of them dissappearing altogether. ?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Firefly.

Hi,

This may seem a bit of a silly question but I'm relatively new to stalking.

I have permission to shoot on two farms ( East Sussex ) and have seen Roe Does and Bucks on one and evidence of a Buck on another. I have heard that as there are few Roe around I shouldn't shoot any. How do I gauge what the population is and can I shoot any bucks without fear of them dissappearing altogether. ?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Firefly.

your going to need to spend time on the ground looking for them , look at any fraying and damaged caused by them and with the rut comming up possibly call them and see what shows.

its not really as 1,2,3 oh theres another 4.

Hi try get a book & read on them & there life/behavour etc its quite basic really. There is alot of movement in the world of roe in march/aprill & may with young bucks being oust out. You can get that extra 1 or 2 with some comming in thats been oust out. You will need to get out day & night & see what you can see what & where to get an idea of what you have.

Richard Prior's Roe Deer: Management and Stalking is pretty good; and go out on a few accompanied stalks with an experienced local stalker and you will learn a lot in just a few days.

Good luck.

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I have been stalking for a while but only Fallow. I have spent a lot of time out on these farms getting to know them and know both roe does and bucks are there but as the farms are both only about 150 acres If I shoot a buck or two are they likely to be replaced by other bucks? I'm in the north of East Sussex near the Kent border. Is this an area where Roe are generally prevalent or are they still quite a rareity ?

Once again and advice gratefully received. I am going to get the Richard Prior book shortly.

Cheers,

Firefly.

Hi Firefly, I am in no way an expert but i should imagine that roebucks in your area would be akin to the Magic Pot of Porridge...the more you take, the more will come in.

Happy stalking, and please, post a few pics if you bag a buck.....JD

Hi JD,

Well that's what I hope for but obviously want to do the right thing for the species. Just ordered a copy of Richard Priors Roe management and stalking book from Alibris.co.uk ( Good place for secand hand books if anyones's interested ) I will have a read and hopefully learn a bit more about it.

Cheers,

Firefly