Hen attacked Cock bird.

We were given some quails a few weeks ago. Two groups,- of 4 hen birds and one cock bird, to each group. Getting plenty of eggs daily. Each group has its own large run. Upto today no problem,- but we noticed there was blood on the floor so checked each bird,- we did notice one hen bird appear to peck the cock bird on his underside. On picking him up, we found a big gaping hole into his stomach area,- so he was PTS instantly.

Anyone any idea why ? Plenty of food, grit etc. Cotonix quail.

Would anyone have a poultry keeping / breeding DVD i could borrow.

My friend gave us the birds only because he had far too many, and he never had this happen.

Thanks

We were given some quails a few weeks ago. Two groups,- of 4 hen birds and one cock bird, to each group. Getting plenty of eggs daily. Each group has its own large run. Upto today no problem,- but we noticed there was blood on the floor so checked each bird,- we did notice one hen bird appear to peck the cock bird on his underside. On picking him up, we found a big gaping hole into his stomach area,- so he was PTS instantly.

Anyone any idea why ? Plenty of food, grit etc. Cotonix quail.

Would anyone have a poultry keeping / breeding DVD i could borrow.

My friend gave us the birds only because he had far too many, and he never had this happen.

Thanks

They are always killing each other, way it goes with quails. If you leave the male out you will get more eggs but not fertilsed, obviously.

Quails are solitary birds usually.