:thumbs: super pics :thumbs: i had to wait a few days before i got my one ! but its nice when you do catch them :thumbs:

yes it is :laugh: I can relax now! Next on my hit list is some small to med size little blue ones I've seen flitting about.... thing is they rarely settle! could have a mission on my hands :)

While I was roe stalking the other evening I was so engrossed in watching painted ladies flitting around me I failed to get a shot at a decent buck that must have strolled past some 30 yards away. Just saw his rump and antler tips disappearing into a thick bramble patch.

While I was roe stalking the other evening I was so engrossed in watching painted ladies flitting around me I failed to get a shot at a decent buck that must have strolled past some 30 yards away. Just saw his rump and antler tips disappearing into a thick bramble patch.

lol, lucky escape for the boy ;) glad your not too embarresed to tell anyone about it!! :laugh:

They are ace aren't they?

Me and the Painted ladies go back a long way.....

1000's of them this year, and i reckon its going to be a bumper for the butterflies.....

Great pics...

Thankyou...

They are gorgeous, and I have threatend my husband with no loving for a whole year if he dares cut down those flowers again this year, like he did last!! He say's they are weed's and they smell like cats pee, but I couldn't care less for the amount of butterflies they attract :laugh:

They self seed everywhere.... anyone know what they are?

is it Red Valarium???

Yep, nearly, red valerian... just googled it:

Red valerian - Centranthus ruber

© Dr Chris Gibson/English NatureThis fine cottage garden plant, originally from the Mediterranean, now grows wild in many places, on walls and old buildings, on sea-cliffs and railway banks and on waste ground. It is medium sized with crimson-red flowers that form spikes at the end of long stalks and pale-mid green leaves. Red valerian has a long flowering season from early summer to late autumn. The flowers are also a source of nectar for bees and also many butterflies and moths, including the hummingbird hawk-moth. It can tolerate well-drained soils and can be grown on walls. Red valerian self-seeds easily. To prevent its unwanted spread, blooms should be cut when the flowers have faded.

I love seeing the hummingbird hawk moths too, so they can self seed as much as they like ;)

is it Red Valarium???

well, bloody hell..excuse the spelling!!! :D

Hehehehe ;)

Did you see spring watch last night?... they had a piece about the explosion in Painted Lady numbers this year, explains it all! :yes: I had no idea that they travel so far! Amazing!

is it Red Valarium???

Hehehehe ;)

Did you see spring watch last night?... they had a piece about the explosion in Painted Lady numbers this year, explains it all! :yes: I had no idea that they travel so far! Amazing!

don't watch TV, so never see it. i do misss programmes like that though....

is it Red Valarium???

Hehehehe ;)

don't watch TV, so never see it. i do misss programmes like that though....

Yes and unfortunately they aren't on enough!

The thing that really grates me is how late they put these fab programmes on.... It seems most of the wildlife documentaries are on at 8:30 or later.

The other night I let my oldest kids stay up later than normal, and there was a programme about the South Pacific, I think it was... the Caymen Islands and coral reefs. It was THE BEST doc I've watched in such a long time, and my lad who's just turned 8 was glued to it. Half way through, he piped up, "Mum, can I learn that in school? I want to go there and look after the reef's when I'm old enough" Bless him! That's the first time he's ever expressed an interest in any type of after education work!

I explained that if he studied hard at school, and went to a special college that he could study marine biology, and go to that sort of place and many others. The determination and excitement in his questioning was something I wish I could put in a jar and sell!

Anyway, all this rabbling was just to bring me on to say, the bloody TV companies have got a big part to play in how they influence kiddies lives, and if they put more wonderful documentaries on like that from 6:00, instead of dead enders and the like, there would be alot more intelligent, and environmently aware children around!!