Got my FAC back last week for the .223 and credit where credit is due i would like to mention R Macleouds for their service and help with purchasing the rifle. I got the rifle and T8 moderator for a good price and the shipping to n. ireland was only £15. I found Gregor Macleoud very easy to deal with and would recommend them to anyone. These days it can be hard to find people who seem to appreciate customer service especially after reading MR. L's post regarding "worst service ever", so i thought i would post a positive customer service experience.

I have fired a few rounds through the rifle on saturday which will be used for fox, (used a box of wolf ammo to run the barrel in) i tried Federal 40gr and have some horandy 55gr rounds still to try. Just wondering if any members have a .223 prohunter mountain 1:9 twist and if so what rounds do you prefer

Got my FAC back last week for the .223 and credit where credit is due i would like to mention R Macleouds for their service and help with purchasing the rifle. I got the rifle and T8 moderator for a good price and the shipping to n. ireland was only £15. I found Gregor Macleoud very easy to deal with and would recommend them to anyone. These days it can be hard to find people who seem to appreciate customer service especially after reading MR. L's post regarding "worst service ever", so i thought i would post a positive customer service experience.

I have fired a few rounds through the rifle on saturday which will be used for fox, (used a box of wolf ammo to run the barrel in) i tried Federal 40gr and have some horandy 55gr rounds still to try. Just wondering if any members have a .223 prohunter mountain 1:9 twist and if so what rounds do you prefer

started with 55g ppu, good grouping(1/2"), but then seamed to go poor (2 1/2"), now on accutip (1"), but have ordered 75g ppu as a reloader said a 1-9 twist likes a heavy round............ so will be trying in the next week or so.

with a 1:9 twist the rifle should be able to stabilise the heavier rounds but am i wrong in thinking that it should shoot the lighter bullets fine.

My t3 tactical seems to be able to stabilize the 40gr nosler ballistic tip (1-8 twist).

Its not the weight of the bullet its the length of bullet that determines what twist rate it can be fired through. It just so happens that heavy bullets are long. Light ballistic tip bullets tend to be long for their light weight so that might suggest how my tactical is able to stabilaze light rounds.

Best of luck with your new purchase OP

Quote Jonty "Its not the weight of the bullet its the length of bullet that determines what twist rate it can be fired through. It just so happens that heavy bullets are long. Light ballistic tip bullets tend to be long for their light weight so that might suggest how my tactical is able to stabilaze light rounds."

Sorry but this is wrong It the weight of the bullet that determins the twist heavy bullets are designed for tight twists.

Barrel Twist Rate 1:14" or 1:12" 1:9" 1:8" 1:7" or 1:6.5"

Max Bullet Weight 55gr FB 65gr FB 73gr BT 80gr BT 90gr BT VLD

This link will give all the info for 223 and others http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Must say I do agree about Gregor Macleod to man :clapper: bought my T3 from him great service and prices :gunsmilie:

Quote Jonty "Its not the weight of the bullet its the length of bullet that determines what twist rate it can be fired through. It just so happens that heavy bullets are long. Light ballistic tip bullets tend to be long for their light weight so that might suggest how my tactical is able to stabilaze light rounds."

Sorry but this is wrong It the weight of the bullet that determins the twist heavy bullets are designed for tight twists.

This link will give all the info for 223 and others http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Must say I do agree about Gregor Macleod to man :clapper: bought my T3 from him great service and prices :gunsmilie:

See this

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/faqbullettwist.html

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July01.htm (There's a formula here for calculating twist rate. It useds bullet length)

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326290

They prove the idea re bullet length.

As I stated already, it just so happens that heavy bullets are long.

Unfortunately Mr A, you are wrong here.

As Jonty says, heavy bullets just happen to be long ones, bullet weight means diddly squat in terms of stabilisation. The longer (and thus heavier) bullets retain energy better by having more momentum and a sleeker, more aerodynamic shape, which makes them better for long range shooting. That's why they're designed.

Then you need to get a barrel designed to shoot them, and that barrel needs a fast twist to spin the long bullet.

Could it be that it is the velocity through the barrel that is critical?

A longer, and probably heavier, bullet will be slower through the barrel and have more chance of picking up the faster twist.

I think some jackets of fast bullets get torn to shreds if the rifling doesn't suit.

Just trying to apply some logic to the question!

Having said that, what bullet weight did I aught to choose for my Tikka Varmint Stainless in .223?

Edited by rjimmer

Velocity does have an effect, because for a given bullet length, you can get more revolutions out of a given twist rate if you push the bullet faster. However, in any given calibre the difference is not generally enough to change whether or not the rifle will shoot a given length.

Tikka Varmint = either 1:12 or 1:8 barrel, if it's the 1:8 then you should be fine from 40 right up to 75. Deker has the Lite with the 1:8 barrel and we have seen all of them shoot nicely at 200 yards at Bisley.

after a hassle over the last few months, trying various rounds here with is my remmy accutip at 100m good closed group, yes inch low but just a quick click or 4 and its there

post-35142-1244411142_thumb.jpg

Edited by steyr223