2 down ,a litter to go .

dscn03811yz.jpg

dscn03883yb.jpg

A routine look out for a keeper found these 2 wandering near the rearing field .Shot the vixen first at half light .She came belting in to a squeak from the hand .Knocked her over at no more than 30 yds .Phoned the keeper to let him know there was a litter nearby and he said he would deal with the cubs as he had an idea where they were .Jokingly, he said he would be pleased if I could get the dog before I went to bed ?

Walked over to the far side of the rearing field and shone the lamp as it was now too dark to see .A fox was sat under an oak tree at about 150 yds and a look through the scope revealed a cub .A load squeak produced no response from it so a softer squeak of a different tone was tried .Outside the beam I saw a fox running in so switched the lamp to its feet .It stopped at roughly 70 to 80 yds and I lined up on its chest.

The shot saw this fox drop on the spot and a walk to it revealed the dog to the vic I had earlier .Phoned the keeper ,who took some persuading that I had shot it ,and he said the litter was under the tree where I saw the cub.They had been moved on from another earth by an over inquisitive underkeeper .Well pleased!

dscn03849iu.jpg

Edited by foxdropper

nice shooting foxdropper :good: good to get both on the same night , the cub's next should not be a prob for you, we were out this morning in scotland for the roe , no joy plenty does no bucks, we found two litters of cubs, dont cause much trouble where they are so will leave them for a while

Good job done there mate :clapper: , I was speaking to the shoot captain on our stalking ground yesterday and he asked if I could have a look out and thin some foxes out before the birds come. :D

Anyway we had a look around a few cut silage fields and polished off a few cubs , easy going but this is fox control not sport ;)

Nice one :guitar:

whats the plan of attack now for the earth under the tree?? ;) will you be back at night or another option?

The keeper accounted for 3 the following morning and I got 2 last Friday .Job done . :good:

Seems the currant trend on here at the moment ,especially on the dog boards, is to condemn the culling of summer foxes .Pest control is an all year round thing with us ,never let up ,one keeper says or you will find a wheel barrow load of poults .[which can and does still happen ,but not too often we hope .]Like I said on the lurcher board ,the keepers respect no close season on any vermin and when you are fortunate enough to be in their trust then neither do I .A keeper was sacked around us last year because a fox killed Lordies peacock, which was free range admittedly but still a sackable offence non the less !.

Good job done there mate :clapper: , I was speaking to the shoot captain on our stalking ground yesterday and he asked if I could have a look out and thin some foxes out before the birds come. :D

Anyway we had a look around a few cut silage fields and polished off a few cubs , easy going but this is fox control not sport ;)

Some well grown cubs there mate .Still silky red round us . :good::good:

Edited by foxdropper