Avice please / which choke for pigeons ?

As a newbie pigeon / shotgunner i have a question regarding chokes.

I would have thought that to hit a pigeon in full flight it would be better to use full or 3/4 choke to get the widest possible spread to hit the bird.

But after doing some reading , it seems that a lot of people use 1/4 or 1/2 coke for birds.

My Lanber came with 5 chokes and i'm still using the ones that came fitted into the gun , full and 3/4 .

I look forward to your responses ,

John :)

Edited by mjr88

As a newbie pigeon / shotgunner i have a question regarding chokes.

I would have thought that to hit a pigeon in full flight it would be better to use full or 3/4 choke to get the widest possible spread to hit the bird.

But after doing some reading , it seems that a lot of people use 1/4 or 1/2 coke for birds.

My Lanber came with 5 chokes and i'm still using the ones that came fitted into the gun , full and 3/4 .

I look forward to your responses ,

Mark :)

full & 3/4 is tight choke, giving a smaller pattern, 1/4 & 1/2 is less choke, i shoot the later 2 with great sucess but it depends how far away you are shooting them.

good luck

I think i'm getting mixrd up about these choke abbreviations :icon_redface:

Basically , my top barrel has a choke with no notches , and the bottom barrel has a choke with 4 notches.

Could somebody please explain which barrel has the widest spread choke ,

Many thanks ,

John ;)

Edited by mjr88

HI, I have a Beretta and the notches on the chokes are as follows ... 1 - Full choke , 2 - Improved modified, 3 - Modified, 4 - improved cylinder, 5 - Cylinder.

1 would be, on mine, the tightest choke ie less spread and a tighter pattern

5, as a cylinder would have no choke therefor a wider pattern.

As said by the Verminater, it depends on the range you are shooting, but I would try changing to a more open choke and give it a go.

I would use my local library and read up a little on various types of shotgun shooting, it could clear things up a lttle for you.

Good Luck,

HI, I have a Beretta and the notches on the chokes are as follows ... 1 - Full choke , 2 - Improved modified, 3 - Modified, 4 - improved cylinder, 5 - Cylinder.

1 would be, on mine, the tightest choke ie less spread and a tighter pattern

5, as a cylinder would have no choke therefor a wider pattern.

As said by the Verminater, it depends on the range you are shooting, but I would try changing to a more open choke and give it a go.

I would use my local library and read up a little on various types of shotgun shooting, it could clear things up a lttle for you.

Good Luck,

thats the same as ur lamber curently has cylinder and quater in then, quater is the 1 with 4 notches, 3 notches is 1/2, 2 notches is 3/4 & 1 notch is full. if you put full & cylinder next to each other you will see a difference in the thickness.