R.I.P Sam

Hi lads and lasses,

Thought I'd share this sad day with you as it happens to us all one day. Had a phone call this morning around 10.30am, it was my brother. He was balling his eyes out and I couldn't get a word out of him for what seemed like ages, then it came " I cant do it, please come to the vets". I knew straight away its was Sam's day. I said I'd be there asap. I got there 10 minutes later. My brother was standing outside the vets with old sam'o. When I got up too him he was still balling his eyes out. "I cant do it" he kept saying. So I took it on myself to go see the vet.

As it was Sam was a lakeland x Jack russel, he was now 14 yrs old. We thought he had cateracts, but the vet said he had a tumour on his brain and thats why he was unable to see things, he was perscribed steriods 2 mths ago but they neva made a difference.

So this was to be Sam's last few minutes with us, we took him for a walk and I played with him as I always did, he was none the wiser to what was to happen. When we got back to the vets they called us straight in. As Sam never liked the vets we had to carry the old man in. So my brother picked him up and into the side room we go. My brother still really upset and me holding back the tears trying to be strong.

Then the vet walked in, I asked my brother if he was ok holding Sam while they gave him the injection? he said no and burst into tears again, so it was up to me to hold him.

The vet inserted the injection, as I looked at my brother I couldnt hold it in any more, the tears ran like a river down my face. One minute Sam was panting and really lively the next GONE........A dead weight in my arms. I held him for 2 or 3 minutes gutted but in the back of my mind happy that his suffering was over and that it was the right thing to do. We both gave Sam one last kiss and said goodnight. Then I cleared the vets bed and lay Sam on there. That was it Sam was no more just a lifeless body on the bed.

I've been well gutted all day that this has had to happen but even though Sam was my fathers dog ,he was mine for Rabbiting. I had some great days out with Sam and some good bags of rabbits. He wasnt the best but he done everything I wanted him to. Bush and Mark and that was what he was best at....

Fair well old boy

R.I.P Sam :cry::cry::cry:

Sorry to hear about Meg, Andrea. Still upsets me thinking of Sam but life goes on and he's in a better place now. Just hope the old fella is there to meet me [bANNED TEXT] i go.

Thanks for all your replies and support, it does make things a bit easier [bANNED TEXT] you can talk to others who experience the same as you. :good::good:

Sorry to hear about the sad news theres nothing worse than having to do it had to have a few dogs pts over the years even found our old aged terrier which had died being comforted by the doberman(she had curled herself round it )during the night when i was younger sad sight she was never the same after that.you always remember the goodtimes though which eases the pain overtime :(

when a good hunting companion goes down it is a loss felt all over the world. Sam will be joining hundreds of good hunt terriers that have served their masters well over the years. May you have years of fond memories of him

Mike