deerhoundx greyhound

right heres my problem ive got a young bitch that im tryin to bring on to work, shes showing the interest in the field but she just kinda lets them go...so i took the advice of a friend to try and get her just retrieving a toy or something first and teach her a tight grip, but the problem is, with a toy, she chases it, and god shes fast, but she pushes it with her nose, at full speed and then leaves it here, so i tried to put food in it so that she get angry when she couldnt get at it, but that failed once again...

but the minute shes in the field, anything moves shes after it...but as i said shes still letting them go... so i was wondering wether anyone else had this problem when training a young dog?

and if you could let me know how you got around it?

all help considered

Thanks Toni

ps heres the bitc thats causing the problems :diablo:

Edited by Toni_Dave_17

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the same prob with my litte whippet but she was picking up toys somtimes but not rabbits, i just keped running her on the lamp and got her to watch a mates dog a few times and she soon picked it up. good luck with yours shel come

hi mate have u tryed a rabbit skin get a rabbit skin and tease youre dog with so the dog grabs it then tie the skin with some rope and tease her like mad then trainig her to fectch back mate it took me weeks with my bitch hope this will hep u mate

Although a nice looking dog, she dont look like any Deerhound X i have seen..not a first cross anyway?...but thats not important..

With this type of cross, it depends alot on the type of Deerhound used...if its from a realy good, hunting killing line, you have nothing to worry about, but if its bred from show stock and the gear 'aint been tested, you could be in for a problem!..

8 Months is very young for a Deerhound cross mate, i wouldnt even consider serious work with one bred like that until it was 15 months...the Staghounds over here look kinda like them, but from the Deerhound cross' i have seen work in the UK, they are a WORLD apart from the Stags here...they might look the same, but so does water and vodka!..lol.

If it was my dog, i would get it trained real nice until 12 months, then get it out ratting alot...that will teach it to grip fairly..lol...ratting, imo, also helps a lurchers strike alot.

Alot of the Deerhounds and there hybrids in the UK are late starters, often not coming on and working real well until 18+months...thats why, imo they have fallen out of favour...

I would say most first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds get there good stuff from the Greyhound..lol.

But IF you get one that is bred right, from a line of Deerhounds that has been tested hard in the field, they often start the same age as most Lurchers, and make great dogs...the trouble is getting a good one from tested gear...out of all the Lurcher cross', imo anyway, no truer saying as "When you get a good one, there GREAT,..but when you get a bad one, there SHIT!"..LOL.

All the best though mate,..

Kye,..

She may well be a first cross, im no exspert mate,...but im 99% sure that i would be impossible to get a smooth coated white dog from such a mating??? :unsure: ...but that dont matter anyway...what matters is that YOUR happy with her, and she does a job for you mate,..just have fun!

Kye..

Guest oldskool

i have a 3/4 grey 1/4 deerhound she is nearly 2 now and doing everything i need her to do but at 8 months she was too busy chasin her tail and f****n about to be a hunting dog. leave her be untill she is about 12 months. if she is like mine she will pick lampin up fairly quickly anyway. ps i dont reckon she is a first cross either. even in the litter of 3/4s i bred i never had any white ones in it.

She may well be a first cross, im no exspert mate,...but im 99% sure that i would be impossible to get a smooth coated white dog from such a mating??? :unsure: ...but that dont matter anyway...what matters is that YOUR happy with her, and she does a job for you mate,..just have fun!

Kye..

um greyhound-----smooth coated :S:S

i had this problem with my beddy whippett and tried evrythin

she used to grab the bunny and just pin it down we tried recalling her but she kept just leaving the rabbit there!

so whilst doin some pest control on permission we slipped her on a lamped bunny that she caught after a nice little run and then once she had it we slipped another dog to get her jelouse as it wanted the rabbit off her

this seemed to work as she started comeing back and would not let go of that rabbit for anythin!!!!lol

but i do agree that she's a little young let her enjoy bein a pupe!!

good luck and keep us posted!

dan

:good: