Is it possible to smoke out Rabbits

Hi all. I have read a couple of threads on the site talking about smoking out Rabbits. I have read on other sites that some people have been able to do it. I was thinking about trying the smoke pellett trick but I dont think it would generate enough smoke to get to all of the bunnies.....What if I dug down apx 2ft below the opening of a warren built a small fire with stuff like rubber etc really smelly horrible black smoke would be sent through the warren(With a lid of some kind sealing the top of the hole so that all smoke went down the Rabbit hole). If I did this for long enough with the holes blocked surely the whole warren would fill with smoke. If I then unblocked some of the holes would the Rabbits come out?

I dont know if it would work or not? but me and Chester were out ferreting one day in the freeeeezing cold and the ferret laid up for so long we lit a fire with some of the newspaper bedding to warm our hands :clapper: and the ferret came back out shortly after - no rabbits though :doh:

An old keeper told me that the guys who rent out the rabbit shooting for dog trials soak potatoes in diesel and throw them down the holes a few days before theyre going to work the ground, the smell is meant to drive the rabbits out and they get more flushes for the dogs. I dont think this method would make them bolt straight away though? :hmm:

Guest hyperion

you can stink rabbits out with balls of newspaper soaked it parafin, old engine oil ect and pushed well down the holes then come back a day or so later to pick them off!

not sure many people do it nowerdays though!

How can the rabbit's come out if you have killed them with poisonous smoke.. :blink: ..ive heard some silly stuff lately but this has got to be the best yet..

Why not just use a ferret like everybody else..

Millet

:doh::doh::no:
What if I dug down apx 2ft below the opening of a warren built a small fire with stuff like rubber etc really smelly horrible black smoke would be sent through the warren(With a lid of some kind sealing the top of the hole so that all smoke went down the Rabbit hole). If I did this for long enough with the holes blocked surely the whole warren would fill with smoke. If I then unblocked some of the holes would the Rabbits come out?

You are Hitlers brother!!! You'll be setting land mines by the entrance to the warrens next... :gunsmilie: