WHICH CALIBRE TO GET?????

Hey guys, Im applying for my FAC and m wondering what caliber would be best for me. I am looking for a rabbit calibre for longer ranges (Out to about 150 yards) My brother had a .17HMR and I think it might me a waste getting another one. it might be a choice though

I also looked at the .22WMR however I heard that ammo is expensive and hard t get hold of.

I also have a friend who wants to sell his .22 Hornet for about £200 which I think would be a good fox calibre but ammo is hard to get

What do you think?

Dave

I've been researching this on the net. Even the Yanks say if you don't reload forget Hornet. Factory ammo is cr*p. If you do reload it's a good varmint round. Put a couple of other centrefires on your application though. Remi .222 is unfashionable but it works!

ATB bro :thumbs: Ric

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, Im applying for my FAC and m wondering what caliber would be best for me. I am looking for a rabbit calibre for longer ranges (Out to about 150 yards) My brother had a .17HMR and I think it might me a waste getting another one. it might be a choice though

I also looked at the .22WMR however I heard that ammo is expensive and hard t get hold of.

I also have a friend who wants to sell his .22 Hornet for about £200 which I think would be a good fox calibre but ammo is hard to get

What do you think?

Dave

I've been researching this on the net. Even the Yanks say if you don't reload forget Hornet. Factory ammo is cr*p. If you do reload it's a good varmint round. Put a couple of other centrefires on your application though. Remi .222 is unfashionable but it works!

ATB bro :thumbs: Ric

.222 is going the way of the Hornet.

Tbh, in this day and age, RELOAD! Centrefire ammo of any quality is now so expensive that you pay for the reloading kit very quickly. You can either settle with early loads or tinker away - the choice is yours. But you will almost certainly beat factory fodder in any calibre.

I had to reorganise my whole house to make space for the gear, but it was worth it!

You may have steered me away from the hornet haha due to shoddy factory ammo and scarce ammo supply

Now I am left with only the .22LR on my application, What other calibres would you suggest me to apply for?

dave

Reloading is the way to go with such calibres unfortunately (.222 going the way of the Hornet, yeah yeah :laugh: )

The .222 is a reknown calibre for accuracy, I have one and with Factory stuff, which there isn't a great choice of, I can get it to group around the 1" mark at 100 yards. I recently tried it with different loads that I knocked up, got that hovering around 1/2" in fact slightly below. I am not the best rifle shot in existence, but reloading has transformed my confidence in the rifle. Took a Rabbit with a head shot with it last night at 120 yards in quite high winds, but I knew roughly the windage, pulled the trigger it fell over.

.223 Remington is a very diverse and varied round that will give you a great deal of choice in Ammunition and if you choose to reload, there are thousands of different loads for you to try and choose.

Off topic a wee bit, but hey :D

Dosn't really matter, all knowlege gained haha

I think that I am not going to apply for a .22LR definatley but I want another calibre a little bit more powerful for long range rabbit/ medium range fox

what do you think?

Dave

You may have steered me away from the hornet haha due to shoddy factory ammo and scarce ammo supply

Now I am left with only the .22LR on my application, What other calibres would you suggest me to apply for?

dave

Put 17hmr, 17hm2, 22wrm down. Why not - you don't have to buy 'em! Then 22-250 and just for the hell of it .223. You might not get any centrefire for your first FAC but if you don't ask you don't get!

Ric :whistling:

I was thinking that, However I thought that you have to have a good reason to have one calibre over another?? as in, why do you want a .17hm2 when a HMR is better??

Dave

Fair point mate. Depends on how you get on with your FEO. You might tell him you really want a 22LR for bunnies at close range and a centrefire for long range and for foxes but if you get knocked back on the C/F you'll settle for a 17HMR for both. I'm in much your position right now so don't treat my words as gospel though! Mr Logic makes a lot of sense.

Ric

Three Rimfire calibres all granted for pretty much the same thing is a rareity Dave. Its like the question of the Sako quad, you have the four rimfire calibres available with one action body, but you are very unlikely to get all four granted as they are similar.

How about dropping the WMR

leaving the

.22LR and .17HMR

.22lr using subs for closer quiet work and the HMR for longer ranges and places where ricochets would be dangerous. I think that these are perfectly viable reasons

Dave