Cornish/Indian Game temperament

When I bought my first bantams, about three years ago, I was really taken by the appearance of the Cornish but presumed they'd be too "bolshy" to get on with others. However, after recently seeing an advert for a couple of Cornish bantam hens I decided to do a little more research on the breed. While most of my books claim that they've had the fighting instinct bred out of them one says they're best not kept with others.

I currently have two bantam hens, a Welsummer and a Wyandotte, and I'm looking to increase my flock this year. I'd like to get these two Cornish but don't want to rock the boat as my two are very sociable and gregarious. Does anybody have any experience of the game breeds and could you tell me how they get on with others. Many thanks in advance. :thumbs:

Guest fornicating ferrets
When I bought my first bantams, about three years ago, I was really taken by the appearance of the Cornish but presumed they'd be too "bolshy" to get on with others. However, after recently seeing an advert for a couple of Cornish bantam hens I decided to do a little more research on the breed. While most of my books claim that they've had the fighting instinct bred out of them one says they're best not kept with others.

I currently have two bantam hens, a Welsummer and a Wyandotte, and I'm looking to increase my flock this year. I'd like to get these two Cornish but don't want to rock the boat as my two are very sociable and gregarious. Does anybody have any experience of the game breeds and could you tell me how they get on with others. Many thanks in advance. :thumbs:

I have a cornish game large fowl cock, he runs with my 5 hybrid hens, for breeding for the table.

Hes only young, has just started crowing and treading my hens.

I would not think of keeping him with another cockeral but as far as i know the hens are not too bad.

The breed is a bit slow and clumsy, and hes more a bit jumpy and nervous than anything else. (bantams wont be as bad though)

they were originaly bred for fighting but they are a too slow so they were never really used for it, but there breeding is still there in the background.

I would give it a go and i would not expect there to be much of a problem out of the norm.

Introduce them slowly, put up a seperate run and house next to the original so they can see each other and feed them either side of the fence, do this for a week or so. This will help with introduction.

Or just put the newbies in at night while the others are well asleep and keep an eye on them the next day as there will be a bit of fighting but it should die down soon, hopefully!

Having two help as they should stick together.

You will allways get a bit of squabbling though if you original hen are well established, you jut gotta try to miminise it.

Good luck with it!

Neil

I have a large Indian game cock with 3 hens. I got 2 hens first then got a pair a week later. When the 2 hens were in with the others they submitted to the other hens without even putting up a fight and the only ones they dominated were 3 much smaller than them. I have actually read that their pugnacity is only surpassed by their cowardice!

We have bred and kept them for years they are docile slow and lumbering birds.not prolific egg layers but nice to have round the place,aint too bright either allways the last to get the worms when turning over the land,Easier to buy and raise from chicks for table then rearing and hatching them..

Regards Steve

Many thanks for all the replies, it's much appreciated. I've seen Old and New English Game mentioned on here before but not the Cornish so I'm pleased to get several people with first hand experience. :thumbs: The pictures are great too. I'll email the breeder now and see if they're still available.

I keep jubilee and dark indians and free range several cocks together in the summer, they will fight at first but they soon sort out a pecking order.

They are penned in breeding groups at the mo and one of my cocks got into the neighbouring pen yesterday, I didn't find out till the evening and apart from a couple of bloody combs and some broken feathers they were fine. The chicks can be quite game compared to some and I rear them under a red light as it cuts down on the pecking, best things a broody hen though. Brilliant table birds but a bit slow to finish.

Rich

i have some eggs under a hen due off this week, at what age would you kill to eat, and what food to fatten them just growers or something else?

They are slow growing breed mate so you wont be eating this summer lol ,chick crumb,growers and some mixed corn every now and again and remember to worm them and when you think there big enough finishers,,,

Imo i think you would have been better with cobbs quicker growing and as a result there tenderer as there younger when there ready to the deed ,and you and your family wont get attached to them lol

Good luck with them

Atb Steve

Edited by ESS
i have some eggs under a hen due off this week, at what age would you kill to eat, and what food to fatten them just growers or something else?

They are slow growing breed mate so you wont be eating this summer lol ,chick crumb,growers and some mixed corn every now and again and remember to worm them and when you think there big enough finishers,,,

Imo i think you would have been better with cobbs quicker growing and as a result there tenderer as there younger when there ready to the deed ,and you and your family wont get attached to them lol

Good luck with them

Atb Steve

18-03-20089.jpg

18-03-20081.jpg

I kill them at about 20-24 weeks, they are slow to finish though they really fill out in the last few weeks. They make big birds in the end with meat everywhere, huge breasts and loads on the legs and thighs too, much more than a supermarket job, and I think the extra time adds something to the flavour. You would definatly be eating a modern meat hybrid like a ross cob much sooner, probably 12 weeks or so depending on how big you want them. Consider getting a few of those now too and when youve eaten your way through them your Indians will probably be ready.

I feed mine growers to about 18 weeks then rolled wheat as much as they want till their ready to kill, if you restrict their range they will fatten quicker.

Good luck,

Rich