The most amazing creatures in nature...

Truely amazing things. Think about a frog for a minute. They start off with FINS and GILLS and sucking mouths. They are, for all practical purposes, a kind of primative fish. And then the weather gets warmer, and they go through this amazing transformation in the space of about two weeks -- the sucking mouth is transformed into a JAW with a huge tongue and tiny teeth . . . the fins are transformed into some of the most powerful LEGS on the planet . . . and the gills are transformed into air-breathing LUNGS and an air sac that would make a bag piper proud.

It's as likely as a carp turning into a wolf. And have no doubt that a large bull frog is a wolf -- they are a top end predator in any pond.

The picture below was sent to me last summer by my friend Larry Morrison , and shows a very large common bull frog in his front yard eating a living bird! The second picture shows the same frog digesting the meal. Wow!

larryfogpic1.jpg

larryfogpic2.jpg

could you tell me the name of the bird the bullx was eating mate :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pretty sure the bird being eaten is a starling -- same as yours. It's an import and not too well like over here. A bit of a story to the starling's introduction to the U.S. if you are interested >> http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2005/...re-in-park.html

Ah toads. Funny story. About 10 years ago or so, I wrote a small book on street drug markets and as a consequence I was up at Harvard talking to an aged drug expert there (he had smoked marijuana once, I think). We got into a conversation about the differences between peyote, psilocybin, amanitas, LSD, marijuana, datura, etc. and I said, rather off-hand and (as a joke), that really you first had to have a base line to compare these drugs to . . . and I always used "the Toad Index."

He looked alarmed. "You mean marine toads?"

Yes, I replied.

"How does that work -- do you lick them while they are alive?"

God God man, are you crazy? No, of course not! You shoot them in the head with a Crow Magnum round from a pellet gun, skin them, and then hang the skins from fishing hooks in the freezer. In two weeks, the skins are nice and freeze dried and you grind them up and smoke them. Anything else is amateur.

I never told him I was kidding. It would be silly to use marine toads as a base line experience.

You use datura for that. :D

(If you don't know what datura is, see >> http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2005/...eds-datura.html )