The Ccok Report setting people

LETTERS * LETTERS

LETTERS * LETTERS * LETTERS

FULL STORY

Dear Editors,

This letter is in reply to both of those written by Mr Neil and Mr Beecroft in your last issue. Their letters, I am afraid to say, just prove to me that they are both very politically unaware of the effect that pro¬gramme like the Cook Report has. I have been an elected member or a co-opted member of the Hawk Board for over a decade. I suppose 1 am also one of those peo¬ple who are well known in falconry, although probably not universally liked, not that it causes me much grief, I have to say! Both Mr Neil and Mr Beecroft have inflated ideas as to what the Hawk Board ,can do for a start. The Hawk Board is just an elected group of people-elected only by those 1100 people who bother to register to vote, not by the 5400 bird of prey keepers who don't bother. We are not a government body, we have no power and yet over the years we have actually achieved a great deal for the falconry world, by having no official link allowing us to talk directly to people like the DOE, MAFF and JNCC, We all know that illegal taking of birds goes * on, and many of us have been quietly doing things about it since long before either Mr Neil or Mr Beecroft came on the scene. We have as individual members of the public and the falconry fraternity, passed information on to the requisite authorities where we thought it would do some good. We have sat and watched hours of videos and spent time and effort giving expert witness statements. We * have taken in confiscated birds, many of which are often badly imprinted or birds in

and effort to house and get right again before release. We have gone to court and given evi¬dence and been on the receiving end of all sort of threats and pretty scary phone calls. We don't, I am proud to say, tape all our calls, as does Mr Neil. Nor do we shout about what we achieve.

We have also seen the scale of thefts of birds decreasing as captive breeding has improved and prices have dropped. We are certainly not sitting with our heads in the sand. We are doing all sorts of things that will in the long term benefit raptors in the wild and the fal¬coners. We watch for new legislation from the EC coming and try to stop the authorities doing such things as stipulating that birds can only be imported and exported from recog¬nised breeding establishments and many * other little delights that probably very few of your readers know will affect them in the future. As to disassociating ourselves from the less pleasant element in the falconry world - indeed most of us do and it was the Hawk Board who refused to accept an elected member because of an ongoing legal problem in an overseas country. So gentlemen get*" your facts straight. You are new to the game. Anyone who has had anything to do with the press will know that investigative journalists, particularly of the calibre of Mr Cooke, are interested in one thing and one thing only and that is getting a good, exciting television on air, regardless of how they do it and here I speak with great experience, I don't trust any of the press any further than I do my male Andean Condor and he is a conniving devil to say the least. The programme has done nothing whatsoever to conserve the British peregrine, indeed the Peregrine in this coun¬try is doing quite brilliantly, so much so that

instigated by the shooting fraternity am many are hoping the Peregrine will be taken off the protected lists - this will I hope never happen. The programme is, in my opinion more likely to have, yet again, brought the peregrine into the public eye at inflated prices and that is nothing but bad for both the wild birds and birds in captivity. If someone went round offering financial gain for wild taken Kestrels, or even hedge hogs or whatever you may choose, I guaran tee that somewhere along the line a take would be found. This would not mean that there is a huge trade in hedgehogs o Kestrels. In every field you care to mention including the police, bribery will bring peo pie our of the woodwork. Both gentlemen are wrong in their conclusions, Jim Chick and myself gave filmed interviews for the Cook programme and condemned illegal trade, but because we did no pat Mr Neil's efforts on the back or say exactly what the programme makers wanted us to say, the interviews were not used Incidentally, some of the film of young peregrines used on the programme was nothing to do with it whatsoever, it was from a totally different case, because I had seen the piece before the screening and given an expert witness statement on it - just to give an idea of how truthful television can be. I find it very odd that Mr Neil was accept able to the known illegal element, who were prepared to take bribes - they wouldn't have done so if I had offered it I am sure.

Yours sincerely

Jemima Parry-Jones

Director

The National Birds of Prey Centre

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering why this has just been posted?

Looking at the dates on the first pages scans its from 1994?

How's it relevant today?

Lancz

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Arrrh Right I understand now!!! :thumbdown::icon_eek::whistling:

Thanks for the explanation :thumbdown::clapper:

YOU WILL SEE THE RELEVANCE SOON. Beside if you are not interested just go and read something else, it is a free country, well it should be.

THOSE WHO FORGET THEIR PAST MAY HAVE IT VISITED ON THEM in their future EVEN RSPB MEMBERS. If this thread does not shock you then there is something wrong with you.

Edited by DEREK CANNING LLB[HONS]

I'm sorry Derek but as important all that might be to you and indeed us, its just to long winded to 'trawl' through, some might, fair play to them, I hope they 'get it' but I can't see many replys on here and especially from youngsters, of which we have many, the people who are most vulnerable.

I would be interested in some sort of breakdown version though, laymans terms, in your own words, sommat I could read and possibly reply to, as though birds of prey ain't my bag, I would find the Cook Report stuff interesting.

Again I apologise, as i'm not knocking you and I fully realise the effort of putting all that info up and in what I assume is the correct order.

Oh, just for the record, my interest is that I know some of the lads who were set up many many years ago by 'ol Rodger Dodger, in a little video nasty about badger digging, remember that?

If your looking to inform folk of any potential danger, keep it simple.

I'm sorry Derek but as important all that might be to you and indeed us, its just to long winded to 'trawl' through, some might, fair play to them, I hope they 'get it' but I can't see many replys on here and especially from youngsters, of which we have many, the people who are most vulnerable.

I would be interested in some sort of breakdown version though, laymans terms, in your own words, sommat I could read and possibly reply to, as though birds of prey ain't my bag, I would find the Cook Report stuff interesting.

Again I apologise, as i'm not knocking you and I fully realise the effort of putting all that info up and in what I assume is the correct order.

Oh, just for the record, my interest is that I know some of the lads who were set up many many years ago by 'ol Rodger Dodger, in a little video nasty about badger digging, remember that?

If your looking to inform folk of any potential danger, keep it simple.

YOUR ARE RIGHT

f*****g hell when did he get out the looney bin again??

:o :wacko: :wacko:

we can look forward to 2 trillion pages of shite again, feck

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ IT: YOU GO AND STICK YOU HEAD IN THE GROUND.

id rather do that than read your shite.

GO ON THEN IF YOU CAN GET OUR HEAD OUT OF HUNTER'S YOU KNOW

• 8 months later...