13 replies to this topic

#1 wag

wag

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:37 am

hi all , just wondering what calls pepole are using around the country for ducks ,and geese , i use the archie jorden goose calls i dont think they can be beaten especally the pinkfoot call , for mallard i use the primos original wench,for teal and pintail i use the primos high roller, for wigeon i just whistle them in my self. so i would like to know what other fowlers use and what views they have on them and what sucess they have had out in the field .

regards wag :thumbs:

#2 Guest_Lord B_*

Guest_Lord B_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:16 pm

hi all , just wondering what calls pepole are using around the country for ducks ,and geese , i use the archie jorden goose calls i dont think they can be beaten especally the pinkfoot call , for mallard i use the primos original wench,for teal and pintail i use the primos high roller, for wigeon i just whistle them in my self. so i would like to know what other fowlers use and what views they have on them and what sucess they have had out in the field .

regards wag http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

For geese I use a number of acme calls and pinkfoot caller. On wigeon I use a home made call that I also use for foxes; two spent cartridge brasses with the plastic and primer taken out, pushed together face on face, and blow through the primer hole. Works well........

#3 v-max

v-max

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:40 am

I use for mallard a Haydel's DR-85 doublereed mallard & its realy good for me & im no pro at using it i think but it works well.Our goose call is a Haydel's but not sure what model.Not used it in the field yet but have turnned geese a few times now from the garden etc right over us but in the field with a gun you know the score.

#4 Danny King

Danny King

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:39 pm

I use rnt new g2 i think thats the number i havent looked for geese. and for ducks i use zing acrilic power hen some nice calls bust cost alot of money i also use a whistle for widgen woodys

#5 wildfowler-2007

wildfowler-2007

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:59 pm

i have used haydel's call's for years the snow goose call is a great call for pink's and the double reed for mallard is also good i use a olt-800 for greylags

#6 v-max

v-max

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 872 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:06 am

Hello took my brother/mate & myself out on saturday to the geese as i have good flight lines at them.The new goose call we got had its trial & its the dogs dangles i was pulling them from a mile or so right over us & my brother got his FIRST goose & we each got a pinker so finished with 3 pinks.Left my camera at home but thinking of going out 27th to another bit with deek's.

#7 fishfish

fishfish

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:47 am

i just rattle a bread bag that brings em steaming in from all directiond down the park!!!!!!!! :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

ive seen some ornate calls ,do any of you guys collect them or have any pics to share?

Edited by fishfish, 26 December 2007 - 10:49 am.

#8 kbtfowler

kbtfowler

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:46 pm

Alrite guys. I use a archie jordon pinkfoot call (top call) and a black magic double reed mallard call also a 6 in 1 whistle for teal and wigeon.
Andy

#9 foxkiller1968

foxkiller1968

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:37 pm

Alrite guys. I use a archie jordon pinkfoot call (top call) and a black magic double reed mallard call also a 6 in 1 whistle for teal and wigeon.
Andy

the calls i use for pinks is an olt 800 for mallard is hs waterfowl bill collector

#10 wildfowler-2007

wildfowler-2007

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:06 am

yip you cant beat the old olt 800 for grey's and pink's pity they dont make them anymore

#11 foxkiller1968

foxkiller1968

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:15 pm

yip you cant beat the old olt 800 for grey's and pink's pity they dont make them anymore

you can still buy them mate google olt 800 goose call they come up on ebay in the usa mate

#12 Tidepool

Tidepool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:41 pm

you can still buy them mate google olt 800 goose call they come up on ebay in the usa mate

Olt went out of business around 5 years ago The Archie Jordan calls parts are made by a Guy called Dave Jackson who used to work for OLT. They are shipped to the UK and then tuned by Kevin Wilcox AKA Archie Jordan the main reason is David Jackson is a Master call maker but has never seen or heard a Pinkfoot or Greylag Goose.

Intersting point we have to retune the Canada calls as well as the US versions are too high pitched for the UK geese.

TP

Edited by Tidepool, 03 April 2008 - 08:42 pm.

#13 wildfowler-2007

wildfowler-2007

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:58 pm

the call's that are made now still cant touch the good old olt800 no matter what people say i have to sat kev at tidepool is a top guy with these archie jordan call's but still in my own mind cant come near the good olt800 every one to there own

yip you are right you can still buy the odd one that is kicking about but they are not made now i have a couple also got offerd a couple the other week there

regards

#14 foxkiller1968

foxkiller1968

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:20 pm

i would say most goose calls you buy need re-tuning to the right pitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users