Raw Feeding A Gun Dog?

If the dog has any respect for the handler they wouldn't crush the bird they are given you, I would never keep one and I hate to see it when it happens. You may think you can stop a dog from crushing game but the dog is hunting for themselves. Get rid is what I say, never had one do it, my mates dog does it and its a race to get the retrieve first!!

I agree with you there to a point, I don't use my lab for picking up any more. If I thought she was good enough to sort out I would, but unfortunately she's better at keeping my son entertained.

I feed mine raw during the working months. They have far more stamina and work in them, seem to be a bit sharper all round. Careful what you feed raw though. I tend to leave rabbit and hare frozen for about 4 months before I feed that raw just to kill parasite and I don't feed any pig product.

Usually I feed raw eggs, venison, lamb, pheasant, partridge, duck, goose, chicken, pigeon, rabbit, hare, beef, it's made up of all the off-cuts that I don't want.

• Like 1

If the dog has any respect for the handler they wouldn't crush the bird they are given you, I would never keep one and I hate to see it when it happens. You may think you can stop a dog from crushing game but the dog is hunting for themselves. Get rid is what I say, never had one do it, my mates dog does it and its a race to get the retrieve first!!

I agree with you there to a point, I don't use my lab for picking up any more. If I thought she was good enough to sort out I would, but unfortunately she's better at keeping my son entertained.

Hard mouth isn't about respect for the handler. Hard mouth is caused by two things that I know of. 1. Hereditary 2. Induced by the handler's own anxiety to make a dog retrieve the way they want it to.

Hard mouth isn't about respect for the handler. Hard mouth is caused by two things that I know of. 1. Hereditary 2. Induced by the handler's own anxiety to make a dog retrieve the way they want it to.

Hence why I said I agreed to some point, the point being get rid of the dog. The rest is bollocks but couldn't be arsed

A dog is a dog. Raw feeding wont alter its work. Obviously i wouldnt go feeding whole pheasant partridge etc with feathers on if you still want the dog to pick up. My lurcher is on raw, eats rabbit regularly but doesnt mangle them after shes caught them.

• Like 1

Fabio ..... I would continue to feed the pup on whatever it was fed on before you brought it home ... a complete puppy food using quality ingredients to promote bone growth etc (comes with extra protein/fat/ash/oils added). Then gradually introduce the RAW food after about 6 months ... chicken carcasses/wings/lamb ribs etc. Feeding RAW will not make your dog hard mouthed. :thumbs:

Jangles

Fabio ..... I would continue to feed the pup on whatever it was fed on before you brought it home ... a complete puppy food using quality ingredients to promote bone growth etc (comes with extra protein/fat/ash/oils added). Then gradually introduce the RAW food after about 6 months ... chicken carcasses/wings/lamb ribs etc. Feeding RAW will not make your dog hard mouthed. :thumbs:

Jangles

Thank you for the sound advice. I'm going to feed him Skinner's Puppy food until about 6 months, then give RAW a go. atb

• 4 weeks later...

I was skinning and gutting rabbits and feeding my lurchers after lamping.great having use for the lamped rabbits.interesting you say they may perform better from raw food.i saw worms in their shite so I dosed them.all worms are gone now so I'm reluctant to feed them rabbits again.do yee think its worth doing if I dose them more often?or better to keep them on gain nuts

Edited by kevin kiely