'Tin' Roof Renovation ?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

What it is; I've spent a year and a half now gagging to sort my cottages f*cking rooves out. (Is it " Rooves " or " Roofs " ? :unsure:) Anyway, one thing and another ..... But now I have my first 5 Ltrs of Gray Oxide and a ' KillaSpray ' sat in the kitchen. Oh; And a gallon of white spirit ;)

I have four lifts here. Started on the one ye see from my top gate. Hit that with a catherine wheel arbour brass brush. Took me twelve hours to bring clean enough for a nice paint job. Needless to say ~ being a bit of a fussy f*cker in such things ~ every square inch is now smooth as a babys bum!

Today I started on the second lift. Same area, as far as I'm aware. Only I've bought a Turks Head / Cup brush. Seemed amazingly faster, being able to run in straight up a channel and hit two sides and the bottom, all in one. But that seemed to rapidly die off with the outer 'Hairs' of the brush :( Before I knew it, I had a 'Shaven Turks Head' / 'Egg Cup' brush. And, if anything, I was having to hold the drill at ever more inventive angles to be able to work the contours.

That's the other thing here; I'm using a power drill to wear these brushes out with. My own. Very powerful. Very new. Rather expensive drill. I wonder if it can take this sort of constant running before something burns out?

So, come on then. This one's aimed at all you people who Live 'Out There'. Sons of Farmers who've been raised watching ye Dads do this sort of shit. What's the craic with this job, please? Any tips for a newb who's going it alone and learning as he goes?

D.S. A SMALL PAINT ROLLER AND YOU FLY THROUGH THEM SHEETS. THE DRILL ... DEPENDS ON THE MAKE.....IF I HAD A LOT OF WORK TO DO, DONT LET THE DRILL HEAT UP...ALLOW IT TO COOL BEFORE USING IT AGAIN....OR HIRE ONE OUT FOR A DAY OR TWO.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Hiring a drill; That's exactly what I had in mind advising myself in a follow up, mate :yes: It occurs to me that, if I burn out this drill, there goes 100 pounds plus, and I've lost my drill. Hire one for a few quid. Burn it out and call for a replacement.

I was on a building site one time and talking to a bloke who cut channels for conduits. That's all he did. Went from site to site, cutting out channels in walls. I asked him if it was his Kango and he said hell no, he hired it. When I asked why on earth, he explained the exact same thing to me. If it blows up, he has a new one in half an hour and carries on.

Extremely valid point, mate :good:

Incidently; Mine's a big Hitattchi and the air coming out nearly blows my head off! I must say, she's a beast and could probably keep herself cool in an oven. But I still have this niggling fear about the " Brushes ", what ever they are. Basicly, up to eight hours a day constant running can't be good for a tool. Back out there again in a while, between showers.

Ditch, when I saw this I thought :icon_eek: :icon_eek: "The Nightmare returns"!!!!!! We've eight sheds with the very same roof :thumbdown: :thumbdown: It's a hiding to nowhere job at the end of the day, but it has to be done. Sod ruining your own kit, as already said............ hire the kit. What I do if the rust is the bubbly patch type stuff is use a "scraper" to take off the "proud" stuff. Not a paint scraper, but the type that are used to take barnacles etc off boats, get a handle off a sweeping brush and fix the said tool to the end of it, then you are in the upright position to do the necessary. I always use a roller to apply the paint.

You'll find that using the scraper saves the hammering your drill gets. Something worth considering where the rust is really bad is some sort of "rust treatment" before the paint goes down. Hope this is of use to you.............Al :drink:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

ROLLER, ROLLER, ROLLER. Am I being passed a subliminal message here?! :laugh:

Alright, lads, as it happens, I never have opened the box the Hozelok 'KillaSpray' came in. So that can go back to the shop as surplus to requirements and save me forty odd euro's ;) It was already due there after Dean O' came along this afters and pointed out that he had a compressor which would spit paint like a professional.

But that would mean waiting till Dean was free to bring his compressor and he works full time. I'm now up against the weather and will need to jump at a moments notice. *Sigh* What sort of roller are we talking about here, please? Surely a normal one wouldn't get into the corrugations?

I'll see if I can sort what ever it is out on tuesday. Then it looks like I'm waiting till the next tuesday to do the painting :(

Angle Grinder? Got one here. Makita. Can't really see as that'd be any handier than the drill though. Probably a shade heavier even? Anyway, I only have 2/3 of a lift to brush now ~ the other two, 'out of sight' sides will have to wait till next summer now. I've missed it and now it'll rain till then. Shame. But there it is. Eire.

Cheers for all the input, lads :)

HEY DITCH ,

HAVE YOU TRIED A JET / POWER WASH ? ........... DEPENDING ON THE STATE OF THE PAINT WORK AND MATERIAL ...IT CAN BE REMOVED VERY EASILY AT TIMES WITH A JET WASH

ROLLERS ? .......... I FECKIN HATE EM ........... I HAVE THE BLOODY PAINT EVERY WHERE ........... ALSO DEPENDING ON HOW MANY COATS YOU ARE WILLING TO PUT ON THE ROOF A BRUSH CAN SOMETIMES BE A BETTER OPTION .....

PAINT WISE ........... THE PRICE THESE DAYS OF A DECENT MAKE CAN GIVE A FELLA A HEART ATTACK ! ........ ABOUT EIGHT YRS AGO A NEIGHBOUR PAINTED HIS CORRIGATED GARAGE ROOF WITH GREEN FLOOR PAINT ....... STILL TODAY AS GOOD AS THE DAY HE PAINTED IT !

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss: