....knitting With Spun Polyester....

jamesmc

awrite lads :victory: ....i have been knitting nets for a good while now,and i have used all sorts of twine.while using all the different colours of spun poly i noticed that they are very different.......when i am using say for example- yellow it is quite smooth and a pleasure to knit with,but when i use some other colours say- aqua blue it is a bit more course compared to the yellow.......i have used all the colours agouti has had over the past couple of years(quality gear)....i don't know if this is something to do with they are spun or dyed maybe? :hmm: ....but i have noticed a difference,and i will really only knit certain colours now.....to keep my fingers in one peice :laugh: ....just wondering if any you lads have noticed this?......or have a preffered type,colour to knit?......atb.....

Down to the temperature , certain colours need to be dyed at a higher heat level to acheive the colour which must have an effect on the twine. Ive always found the bright orange twine to be nice and soft, and this royal blue twine that iam knitting with at the moment is also nice.

Regards.

awrite lads :victory: ....i have been knitting nets for a good while now,and i have used all sorts of twine.while using all the different colours of spun poly i noticed that they are very different.......when i am using say for example- yellow it is quite smooth and a pleasure to knit with,but when i use some other colours say- aqua blue it is a bit more course compared to the yellow.......i have used all the colours agouti has had over the past couple of years(quality gear)....i don't know if this is something to do with they are spun or dyed maybe? :hmm: ....but i have noticed a difference,and i will really only knit certain colours now.....to keep my fingers in one peice :laugh: ....just wondering if any you lads have noticed this?......or have a preffered type,colour to knit?......atb.....

I have noticed this difference also but i prefer the courser feel of the orange and blue better than the high viz yellow.

Down to the temperature , certain colours need to be dyed at a higher heat level to acheive the colour which must have an effect on the twine. Ive always found the bright orange twine to be nice and soft, and this royal blue twine that iam knitting with at the moment is also nice.

Regards.

the royal blue is what i am using just now :D:thumbs: ,i thought the temperature would be what it was....but some of the lighter stuff is course,would it take much heat to dye these do ye think? :hmm:

I have noticed this difference also but i prefer the courser feel of the orange and blue better than the high viz yellow.

i must admit i did not like the hi-viz yellow stuff,did not stop me knitting with it right enough :laugh:

Regards.

can you knit and type at the same time? :hmm:

:thumbs:

:laugh:

Regards.

the royal blue is what i am using just now :D:thumbs: ,i thought the temperature would be what it was....but some of the lighter stuff is course,would it take much heat to dye these do ye think? :hmm:

Polyester is hydophobic it repels water. To get the dye to take you need to open up the fibres of the yarn to allow the dye to penetrate the yarn. For the fibres to open up the yarn needs to reach a tempreture of 160C. The boiling point of water is 100C so other types of heat must be applied to allow the yarn to be dyed. It is the dying process that makes spunpolyester so expensive. White undyed is very cheap.

TC

Regards.

Polyester is hydophobic it repels water. To get the dye to take you need to open up the fibres of the yarn to allow the dye to penetrate the yarn. For the fibres to open up the yarn needs to reach a tempreture of 160C. The boiling point of water is 100C so other types of heat must be applied to allow the yarn to be dyed. It is the dying process that makes spunpolyester so expensive. White undyed is very cheap.

TC

thats some good info pal.....cheers :victory:

Regards.

TC

That is interesting TC, i like white purse nets best. Dont think i saw white when i bought my last stuff from Nigel but i could be wrong on that.

Regards.

can you knit and type at the same time? :hmm:

:thumbs:

:laugh:

:laugh: Aye ..

Regards.

TC

That is interesting TC, i like white purse nets best. Dont think i saw white when i bought my last stuff from Nigel but i could be wrong on that.

i have never seen any white on his site either,but i bought a load of gear off nigel...needles,spun poly,rings,etc......some of the needles were loaded with the white stuff,i used this and it was great stuff nice and soft :victory: