mhh vs birds

KizzaP13

I have a male harris flying at the same weight. He is never on the fist as ways loose and he has taken pheasant cocks and hens and also part rage but never in flight all ways on the ground I have never had to teach him to do it they all seem to do it with no problem. But thee not got a hope in help of pidgon I also fly falcons and have flown an array of birds since I was seven and have still never caught pidgon with any of them but also u need to use telematry no matter what your flying even if the bird wont go far I have had a email harris drag a rabbit under a bush if it wasn't for telematry I would have never found her

Taking featherd game aint out of the question but it is asking a lot of you harris ,i had a male that hit a lot of phessies cocks and hens but due to the dense nature of the feathers on the phessies he just couldnt hold onto them,if it was a head bind then yes but they just grab what they can when they make contact...

If you just want to take rabbit and phessie/crow and the like maybe try a goss,ive never owned one but know some people who have good results on both fur and feather with gosses..Good Luck :thumbs:

HI ALL, I HAVE A MALE HARRI HAWK THAT IS HUNTING AT 1.6 HE IS NOW READILY TAKING RABBITS ON THE LAMP AND WITH THE FERRETS. I WANT TO GET HIM TAKING BIRDS.EG;wood pigeon, feral pigeon, magpies, pheasant, and maybe the odd partridge BUT HE WILL NOT CHASE THEM. HOW WOULD I GET HIM TO TAKE THEM AND WOULD HE TAKE THEM IN FAIR FLIGHT OR FROM TREES ETC... DO ANY OF YOUR HARRISIS TAKE BIRDS REGURLY IVE TRIED LOWERING HIS WEIGHT BUT IT HASNT WORKED. THANKS

if you get it taking this lot breed it and sell chicks for 2k each as you got one hell of a harris,as for mugging out the window what fun is that !!!! alot of the sport is about the slip and watching the birds agility ect in the flight and alot of the time not catching ,throwing it at a bird at the rd side is not exactly sport is it ??

if thats the quarry u want then get a falcon or gos

• 4 weeks later...

thanks lads chid21 how long do you think the slips would be would you need telemetry?

i have fhh and she is excellent at following on she got a taste for pheasant after she got lucky on one on the ground in heavy cover, i have made the stupid mistake of not sticking transmitter on her a few times and got very comfortable with forgeting to throw it on because i was staying local (stupid mistake). next pheasant she spotted few days later she took off after it and for people who say harris hawks dont fly far they are very wrong, 2 days later a neighbour spotted her sitting in a tree. took me hours to get her down (big fat gut on her) but i was lucky to get her back. i wouldnt go out without telemetry now and to answer your question.

think a lot of people never really get their harris working to anywhere near the full potential, most are flown well below the true potential, therefore the bird relies more oin craft than power, had my female fit enought to confidently fly ate hares and they can move, had her take phessies off fist, fair does not like a gos or falcon, but thne again they not falcons or gos are they lol thry getting it fit as fook , more jump ups done whilst standing on a ladder, rope work, hard fast luring , have it following on for miles a day, increrasing muscle stamina, then use field craft to produce managable flight too build confidence , buying the right stuff in first place helps, summat out of hunting stuff is best not someones piggy bank birds, like many say they not gos or falcons but they do have more potential than most ever dig ut of em, easier to get another type of bird or even a gun ya miss nowt that way, like grovesy says its not about the kill and if thats what matters falconry aint for you , some oif the best days Ive had sheer jaw dropping flight resulted in coming hoime empty handed, a lot of people forget the real reason and pleasure to be had in falconry, its not a dick waving contest, but a deeply personal relationship with an animal thats not social, working together as a team, the failure is always shared as are the sucessess when they come along

• Like 1