CUSTOMISING A TIKKA

Lets hav it'

anyone here ever had a tikka m595 in .243 customisied? it can achieve 1/2" groups with the right ammo but i'm thinking of getting her tricked out for a bit of long range shooting.... i have to admit i'm a bit of an accuracy nut. :icon_eek: ANY suggestions welcome!!!

trigger done, reloading done!!!!!! rest is on what the cost may be crowning truing action, beding, trying to get costs for these, cheers

I've had a quote to get a 6.5 customised to a form of hybrid stalking / F class and it makes your eyes water a bit.

I've got the quote back home and can get some some ball park figures for bedding, blue-printing etc. Mine is based on a remi 700 action and kreiger barrel but i can't see it being too different :hmm:

I am takeing my remi next week for a bit of surgery the action blueprinted ,custom bolt,pillar beding,kreiger barrel, teflon coating of the action (cosmetic )may get a Mcmillan stock fitted just depends on the waiting time depending how much better the jewel triger is than mine may have one fitted,may not be a long range gun but will suite my shooting

Guest baldie

If it will already shoot 1/2" groups, you arent going to improve it much. I did a 595 a couple of weeks ago, for a customer who wanted the same thing, and it must have improved it slightly, as he hasnt been back.

What i did was this.... fitted stainless pillars, then devcon bedded the entire action....£200. recrowned it [sorry dont know how much, but not a lot] The only other thing i would do, is a little trigger work, as there is no kit available for these.

To get anything better, would involve rebarrelling, and bluprinting, which would be £800 upwards, and to be honest, would not give anything better than 1/4" consistently, you would be wasting money.

cheers baldie for that i cant really complain about the guns accuracy,s with 58grain v-max it will shoot half inch groups all day. but i was thinking of giving it a little extra accuracy for long range, or might go for another gun someting accurate but light, any recommendations? cheers people.

Guest baldie

If its general varminting, and foxing to 3-400 yards, you want a 6mmppc,Up to 600, go for a 6mm br. If you dont want to go the custom route, go with a 6.5x55, its a truly excellent cartridge.

Guest Scuba1

If you want something for the long range stuff why use a light .243 and then spend a lot of cash to try and optimise it when there are munitions and rifles about that are made for the job in hand from the get go. As an example. A 6.5 X 68 will sling a 6g projectile at a V0 of about 1150 m/s and will pass the 300 m mark still traveling at over 900 m/s thus giving a Range from + 5 cm to - 5 cm of around 290 m

Now I hesr you say " but the 6.5 is more expensive to feed then a .243 and you are right, but the cash you saved on the work done to the .243 will buy you a lot of ammo that will convert into a truck load of foxes.

Just my 2 cents worth

ATB

Michael

Edited by Scuba1
Guest Scuba1

Having said a ll that I forgot to ad, that neither the 6.5 X55 nor the 6.5 X 68 are rounds to shoot foxes with if you want to sell the pelt that goes especially for the 68 as that round will as near as dammit cut a charly in half at closer ranges.

ATB

Michael