24 replies to this topic

#16 kenny14

kenny14

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:11 am

The only difference in the pro is the IR.. In my eyes the yukon is crap for foxing...

It seems that's where the problem lies .

I know it sounds stupid but did you focus the units properly first? By this I mean with the small lever at the side of the occular lens. If this isn't set to suit your vision, then you'll not get a good image no matter what.
As I said before, the standard ranger should I.D Foxes to 200 yards in decent conditions. The pro can pick them out at 500+ yards (again in ideal conditions). The difference between the two models is that the pro not only has a more powerful Illuminator, but also a more advanced CCD.

#17 BooMster

BooMster

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:49 pm

I know how to work the units, Both Ranger and Pro. As stated before i've used a few and even used the older "Better models" I'm aware of both differences on both units, but i still think theres really no noticeable difference from Normal to Pro apart from the pro bein that little bit sharper..

you show me a Fox at 500+ yards that i can clearly identify as i dont think its possible... Maybe i dont have a problem with my unit, or others i've viewed... It may be that your unit and a few others are one of a kind???

#18 THE STALKER

THE STALKER

Mr Clumsy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:45 pm

Well i must be lucky then cos i have had the old ranger with the lever on the eye piece and i got the newer one and both have spotted Foxes at 200 plus yards .

#19 BooMster

BooMster

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:15 am

Well i must be lucky then cos i have had the old ranger with the lever on the eye piece and i got the newer one and both have spotted Foxes at 200 plus yards .

LOL.. ok

#20 kenny14

kenny14

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:17 am

Mine's an old model too, and as I've said in ideal conditions Foxes are identifiable at 500+ yards.

Everyone who's used digital N.V will know that it takes a bit of getting used to, and this debate has made me wonder whether some people's eyes are maybe more adaptable to coping with digital N.V images.

#21 THE STALKER

THE STALKER

Mr Clumsy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:10 am

Well there is always spec saver's B)

#22 BooMster

BooMster

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:19 pm

Mine's an old model too, and as I've said in ideal conditions Foxes are identifiable at 500+ yards.

Everyone who's used digital N.V will know that it takes a bit of getting used to, and this debate has made me wonder whether some people's eyes are maybe more adaptable to coping with digital N.V images.

I wont disagree that the older units are better than the current ones. I've tested older units and you can see a clear differens to the newer unit.. I think the CCD has been changed thats cheaper = more profit. I'm arguing my point as the owner of a newer unit that i add has been returned to Thomas Jacks twice, and replaced with two different units..

#23 THE STALKER

THE STALKER

Mr Clumsy

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:26 pm

Oh well buy my pulsar N550 Then.

#24 BooMster

BooMster

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:02 pm

Oh well buy my pulsar N550 Then.

Haaa dream on...

#25 mr fudd

mr fudd

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:40 pm

yukon ranger is what you want second hand around £180-£200 ish maybe a bit cheaper but your going to need a decent laser illuminator to get out to foxing distance, an N1000 £120 ish will do 200 yards as already stated but i had a dipol L2 £200 ish sat underneath mine and with some tweaking i used to get out to 300 yards (measured) with ease on a clear night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users