Shepp Whites

“Oxford Fowler” (a gentleman ) offered to take me out on to Shepp Whites, near to Holbeach St Matthews, Lincolnshire, a marsh I had not been on before. So I jumped at the chance. I had previously warned him that I don't do deep mud, steep sided muddy creeks or wading through deep water due to smoking for 30 years and 16 years down a dusty coal mine leaving me breathless in certain circumstances. Its nothing to do with the large hole at thigh level in my waders or me being over weight.

Well I got up just before 02.00 ,on Thursday 17th yesterday, and set off at about 02.20 arriving in the car park at Shepp Whites at about 04.45 after a few wrong turns and going down tracks that led to dead ends. It was like Sainsburys car park on a Saturday afternoon as there were that many folk there, there were two chaps up from Kent for the week, Oxford Fowler and another fella called Graham. Pleasantries over and then everyone worked out where they were going to avoid bumping into each other. Time to get togged up and we were on our way, our two dogs seemed to get on quite good as we set upon what turned out to be a long walk along the sea wall and then over the marsh, about an hours walk in total I would say to get to where we settled which was called Anderson's creek (I think it was called)

It was quite foggy and the visibility was poor when the light started to show its true colours, we could hear widgeon as soon as we got there then there were pinks in the distance, mallard quaking, we had 4 shots in total but nothing down. They were coming out of the gloom at speed, it wasn't as though you had warning, anyway it just wasn't to be. I think its me that is bad luck on the marsh. Loads of Brent as usual. There were seals swimming about, bull seals growling and fighting all stuff that I had never seen before.

Anyway we set off on the long walk back to the cars by which time the sun had decided to come out, on the way back walking the sea wall Oxford fowler was pointing out places to go on the marsh I thought “what a good chap he is” giving me all this information,

I had a thoroughly enjoyable time due to Oxford Fowler putting himself out and taking a complete stranger and novice wildfowler out, I cant thank him enough.

The only thing that upset the proceedings was when my dog went and shat near to the back of Oxford Fowlers car when he was getting undressed and stunk him out, and she also wanted to chase the seals earlier on the marsh sorry about that Oxford Fowler but I did warn you about my dog being a terrier and all.

I hope the experience has not scarred him for life, thanks again mate for taking me out on the marsh.

Here are a few photos from the morning out.

post-9766-0-69574600-1321652490_thumb.jpg

post-9766-0-55068200-1321652517_thumb.jpg

post-9766-0-23507600-1321652537_thumb.jpg

post-9766-0-51221100-1321652563.jpg

• Like 1

great write up harry , also a great place to shoot , i have shot Anderson's creek many , many times before with me shooting my very first golden eye there many moons ago ...

I seem to think I have seen some pics of you taken some years ago down at the end of the yellow brick road, I may be totaly wrong but when the area was described to me last week I thought of those photos.

Regards

Hcc

Good to meet ya Harry...lol..

Good to meet you mate, how did you and your mate get on? Its good to be able to put a face to a name.

I am just glad my dog didnt sh** at the back of your car :laugh: :laugh: With the size of you an all ;)

Ended up with a few Pinks

Edited by bigdev

Good to meet ya Harry...lol..

Good to meet you mate, how did you and your mate get on? Its good to be able to put a face to a name.

I am just glad my dog didnt sh** at the back of your car :laugh: :laugh: With the size of you an all ;)

Ended up with a few Pinks

Ahh so the Pinks are there now then, bet the seeker will be pleased to hear that. :thumbs:
  • 2 weeks later...

I have just read my wildfowling club newsletter, it would appear some arse hole has been breasting birds and leaving the carcass over the bank at shep whites, if anyone knows who this is or if it is someone on here please stop it at once as they are are bringing the sport into disrepute, what a moron :feck:

The news letter does not state when but yes recently as I only received mine in today's post. I agree with Charlie Caller what a moron, in fact no what a tw@t

Total disrespect for the quarry and wildfowling, can you imagine if a member of RSPB or LAC's came across this??