the best rifle for ratting?

tx200hc

ive recently got permision for a bit of ratting and considering i own a tx ive been using a mates s410...lovely rifle... i need to buy my own any suggestions on a good ratting rifle for bout 300-400 ££££ thanks for ya time happy shooting :gunsmilie:

ive recently got permision for a bit of ratting and considering i own a tx ive been using a mates s410...lovely rifle... i need to buy my own any suggestions on a good ratting rifle for bout 300-400 ££££ thanks for ya time happy shooting :gunsmilie:

hi buddy

buy your mates of him,it really good for ratting .thats what i use :thumbs:

regards

davy

Thats easy, my .25 Buddy Bottle Ultra! :gunsmilie::whistling: 300 shots per fill, the word devastation doesn't even cover it :angel:

But generally any short, multishot rifle will suffice:

BSA Ultra, Scorpion or Hornet, even an S10 carbine

Falcon lighthunter

AA S410k

:hmm:

Get something second hand, get a regulator in it, nice lamp, your budget should cover it nicley :thumbs:

Phil :D

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Any multi shot rifle is the best idea when ratting at night mate.

Loading a single shot rifle in the dark fast isnt easy, I know as I have tried it, but it can be done with practice.

Rats are pretty hard creatures for there size and will run when hit unless the shot is perfect and placed within the brain.

I have shot rats with .177 and .22 buddy and both kill instantaneously when the shot is perfect, but I personally find the .177 to over penetrate with its smaller diameter if the shot is slightly out and the rat runs 1 to 2 metres before dying.

A .22 is a different story though and usually drops them within 30 cms if the shot isnt perfect.

As Phil has already alluded to a .25 would probably be the best calibre for the job with its lower muzzle velocity, greater diameter and denser pellet giving more kinetic energy shock.

Rats are generally shot at close to medium ranges so a .25 would be a very handy tool I think to kill rats because you could zero at a close range (10 metres) and you would get a second zero range of 19.5 metres from a 11.5 ft/lb rifle which is well within rat shooting ranges.

To sum up mate.

A multishot rifle with the bigger the calibre the better I personally believe.

Shot placement needs to be spot.

ATB

Si.

post-2627-0-35990700-1297406643_thumb.jpg

Edited by zini

Thats easy, my .25 Buddy Bottle Ultra! :gunsmilie::whistling: 300 shots per fill, the word devastation doesn't even cover it :angel:

Falcon lighthunter

AA S410k

Get something second hand, get a regulator in it, nice lamp, your budget should cover it nicley :thumbs:

jesus! thats yours? I saw a photo of that ultra recently and by jingo it looks a right fcensored.gifng piece of kit! hats off to whoever was involved in the crafting of that rifle, its probably the best modified rifle iv'e ever seen. the rats'll sh***ing themselves round your way.thumbs.gif

Falcon lighthunter

AA S410k

jesus! thats yours? I saw a photo of that ultra recently and by jingo it looks a right fcensored.gifng piece of kit! hats off to whoever was involved in the crafting of that rifle, its probably the best modified rifle iv'e ever seen. the rats'll sh***ing themselves round your way.thumbs.gif

:notworthy: Cheers mate, yeah its mine, the pics are on the BSAOG but I can post some up on here if theres interest? :thumbs:

I can give you the full specs and development pictures as well if you like? :bye:

Falcon lighthunter

AA S410k

yeah mate, id love to see the pictures of it coming to fruition. can i ask how much the whole job cost?

hi mate, in ratting you very rarely take shots over 25yrds so extreme accuracy isnt essential. a short, light fas shouldering gun is. i would recommend a crosman ratcathcer as i did some feral work with a friend and used his and it was very good for a CO2 rifle. it was fully kitted with laser and scope which was perfect for the short range work and allowed you (even though we didnt) take shots from extreme angles using just eh laser as an aimpoint. he had 2 zeros, the rifle zeroed at 20yrds and the lazer at 10.

thanks for all your suggestions they have been very helpful! :thumbs::thumbs: ive been offered a webley raider 10 and ment to be looking at it tommorrow any one know much about them cheers....

Nothing wrong with the Webleys but try to buy a pre anti tamper one as they are much easier to work on if you have a problem or if you just want to service it. My webley lite w-8 (essentially the same as the raider) had an anti tamper bolt in place at the rear of the scope rail block which was a real pain to remove but now enables me to do a full strip down.

• Like 1