pointer labrador crosses

I have seen 2 GWP x Lab's although unfortunately never seen any work, both seemed to have taken slightly more to the Wirehair and looked like strongly built Wirehair's (nice).

One of them is owned by a Keeper who i know would never keep any rubbish, he claims it suits his needs very well as he can allow it to range on Grouse or hunt very closely in thick woodland, he also uses it allot on vermin and Fox drives.

Eskdalehawks, nice looking pair, got any pics of the front of the dogs.

Dave.

I have one pic on my pc that will give a better view from the front. as soon as I can figure out how to change the size without ruining the photo I will. if I make it to small I wont be able to blow it back to its original format without it going blurred!

Hope this has worked!

post-34760-125907030682_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen 2 GWP x Lab's although unfortunately never seen any work, both seemed to have taken slightly more to the Wirehair and looked like strongly built Wirehair's (nice).

One of them is owned by a Keeper who i know would never keep any rubbish, he claims it suits his needs very well as he can allow it to range on Grouse or hunt very closely in thick woodland, he also uses it allot on vermin and Fox drives.

Eskdalehawks, nice looking pair, got any pics of the front of the dogs.

Dave.

I have one pic on my pc that will give a better view from the front. as soon as I can figure out how to change the size without ruining the photo I will. if I make it to small I wont be able to blow it back to its original format without it going blurred!

Hope this has worked!

BINGO!! That's about the best shot I've got of those. The darker dog whent up to a falconer in Anwick and the Lighter dog is still with me. They will do everything, Fur, Feather and Deer.

thats a good picture of them!

did you say they were choc lab x italian spinone?

will they be bigger than a GWP x lab then?

theres something about lab x HPR crosses that make them look like hunting dogs to me and not just a peg dog! its briliant

thats a good picture of them!

did you say they were choc lab x italian spinone?

will they be bigger than a GWP x lab then?

theres something about lab x HPR crosses that make them look like hunting dogs to me and not just a peg dog! its briliant

No! Not at all. They are no bigger than any of my labs were. you do get some big ones and some small one but you just have to go with your instinct and pick what you like. out of the four that I kept back ALL wre roughly the same sort of size. Bitches tending to be slightly smaller but not much. Yes they are Choc lab x Spinone. And it must be Cholate otherwise you will affect the colour genetics. The Choc lab cannot carry a black gene! only Choc and Yellow.

Edited by EskdaleHawks

Rod, they are a cracking pair of dogs you bred, did you use a Choc Lab deliberately so you could get Choc Wirehairs and have you tryed a litter out of a black Lab before.

Dave.

Thankyou! Glad you like them.Yes! Dave, I did use the Choc lab deliberately but not so I would get Choc Whirehairs. The Choc lab that I used for picking up was bred by myself. He also pointed. I used a Choc. Because it does not carry a black gene and therefore will not interfere to much with the colour gene of the spin.(no black in spins)The wire coat obviously comes from the Spin. The answer to you last question is No! Don't particularly like the thought of a black one? Personal choice I suppose! I dare say that they would be ok! though. I would definately have another one or use this cross over another wirehaired HPR if I could find someone willing to do the cross?

Rod, they are a cracking pair of dogs you bred, did you use a Choc Lab deliberately so you could get Choc Wirehairs and have you tryed a litter out of a black Lab before.

Dave.

Thankyou! Glad you like them.Yes! Dave, I did use the Choc lab deliberately but not so I would get Choc Whirehairs. The Choc lab that I used for picking up was bred by myself. He also pointed. I used a Choc. Because it does not carry a black gene and therefore will not interfere to much with the colour gene of the spin.(no black in spins)The wire coat obviously comes from the Spin. The answer to you last question is No! Don't particularly like the thought of a black one? Personal choice I suppose! I dare say that they would be ok! though. I would definately have another one or use this cross over another wirehaired HPR if I could find someone willing to do the cross?

id have one in a flash *situation permiting*

They are very GWP looking Rod, what is there hunting style like is it very HPR and how would they measure up to a pure HPR (Without upsetting too many people)

Dave.

Hi! Dave, Yes they do look very like a GWP but they end up being slightly heavier in build. This is a spin traite.They do work like an HPR. They will work close in or you can cast them out to range. I have found when ranging that they work better on a stiff breeze. Although they are just as at home hunting through a wood. I have shown these dogs to a well known HPR fieldtrial judge after we had been up on the moor at a working test. I put them through their paces for them and then ask the question "would these dogs have let me down if I had run them in the test today"? Answer- "Not at all! They were better than some of the dogs running today!" Even a friend of mine who has bred GWPs for years likes them. They are not as 'Hot' as pure bred GWPs but have more go the the spins. They are what I would term as level headed!

Edited by EskdaleHawks
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any pics of adult 1st cross GWP X LAB'S?, and are the offspring more likley to resemble the bitch or dog ? or a standard even cross/mix of both, iv been to see some pups from working parents on both sides(both keeper worked and bred)and at the moment they are lab like ! i realy like the thought of the lab calming down the gwp but like the look of the gwp ,im thinking of using it mainly on deer but if i could get something a bit of an alrounder it would be great !

ALL THE BEST

Does anyone have any pics of adult 1st cross GWP X LAB'S?, and are the offspring more likley to resemble the bitch or dog ? or a standard even cross/mix of both, iv been to see some pups from working parents on both sides(both keeper worked and bred)and at the moment they are lab like ! i realy like the thought of the lab calming down the gwp but like the look of the gwp ,im thinking of using it mainly on deer but if i could get something a bit of an alrounder it would be great !

ALL THE BEST

the pnes ive seen basicly look like a clack lab with a wire coat, and huge teeth! :thumbs: