oops! have I damaged my bore???? (.17 HMR)

Hi all, mission of mercy to lay my mind to rest... or turn me into a quivering werck... :(

I was out yesterday lamping and got back to clean my rifle, I have made do so far untill I can go and pick up a new cleaning rod (the one they gave me doesn't fit the brushes) and sling, with a pull through made from 50lb fishing line, works fine as it gives quite a good fit with a whole patch. anyways, I went down with 2 solvent patches and then with a dry patch, but the patch got stuck in i think the area where the case narrows at the neck as it wasn't lubricated, so I got the oversize cleaning rod (which snugly fits down the bore), cut off the pull through, and pushed the patch out from the muzzle end out of the chamber. thing is it was pretty well stuck and i had to (sounds horrible) ram the patch out, y'know as if you were using a hammer and the patch is the nail and the rod the hammer. the patch came out, but i was wondering, might I have damaged the rifling or scratched the bore and if so what can I do about it? I haven't had time to shoot another group so that'll have to wait.... answers on a postcard to.... :( :( :(

also what do you guys do with cleaning your HMR's? have any of you found a parch that fits down the bore whole? without having to cut it down to fit in the jag?

Rimfire Magic (in sheffield) do a good cleaning rod for .17hmr

the rod you are thinking of is a dewey i would say and they are excellent.............. ;)

Spot on Snap........ Dewey they are, couldnt remember the brand !! Its an age thing ;) Boresnakes are for lazy arses who cant be bothered looking after there kit properly

Glad to hear everything is fine. I have a Kleen Bore kit for mine - Yes I know Dewey are the best! It has patches that are 2cmx2cm to patch out after a good clean. They are a perfect size for the job. Deker I, like I'm sure many others on here have it imprinted on our brains your views on bore snakes! You of course are so right - DON'T go there. Buy a proper kit and look after your gun well. After all the cost involved is so small compared to the cost of the gun!

Fastrac10