Best Pigeon Crops?

Hi,

I am a newbie to the world of pigeon decoying, and rough shooting.

I have access to a fair piece of land with a few different crops on, mainly pea, wheat and barley. The land has a few wooded areas and also some areas just left for grazing(cattle). I went out the other day with some shell decoys (in no particular pattern) using a hide against a wooded backdrop, on one of the pea fields, this was between 2pm and 5pm. It was very slow and I only saw a handful of pigeons in this time none of which showed interest in the decoys that I had set out, and hence did not come within range for a shot. Quite disappointing really

Can anyone suggest best crops to set up on?

How close to wooded areas?

Times of day?

Best decoy patterns?

etc etc.

Any advice gladly received, it'll be a steep learning curve

many thanks

Ed

at this time of year you want to try and be on the drillings or sowings and most of the day is ok to shoot but it dies off around 12 for me and then starts to get better again around 2 ish. you should try to get wobblers for your shells ifyou can and put out dead birds when you have them.

on sowings you can space your decoys quite far apart.

its all about the day i was out last week on the sowings and had a 43 crows and 10 pigeon and today i was out on the field next to it and had only 2 and a couple of crows

Not that I am an expert far from it but I always try to start with the basics, can the birds see you? is that why they are not coming in- have you got a face mask and gloves/ because pigeons have flippin good eyes- are you moving quick when you see one coming so they see your movement?

Once you are satisfied they cant see you then worry about your decoy patterns and time of day.

I always put my decoys in a horse shoe pattern "U" with the open end facing the direction of the wind and hope they will land in the open end.

That's my theory anyway for what its worth and I always like shooting first thing in the morning.

Good luck anyway and keep us posted how you get on. ;)

Theres no hard & fast rules & you have a good choice to for them to choose from. Do a recky for a day or two to see fit there up to. Get a book on shooting them & have a good read as there is so much things to try & do. Once the crops get up flattend wheat/barley etc are very good to kill on.

a face cover is more importent than netting. i have had birds come in while ive been out moving about as long as i have a face mask

Especially on a sunny day and you got a bald spot like me. As for crops young rape potatoes as the greenage appears freshly harvested barley fresh drillings corn, list goes on

Edited to add they do seem to eat and congregate the corners of a fields of rape first as the rape appears..

Edited by ESS

As well as cammo gear on you will need a face mask as well have something at back of you as a background too.Over the years i have had them come in when i have been exposed so take your pick.Crops are ,rape fresh drilled wheat,barley,and early sugar beet,all good fields to shoot over. good luck and enjoy yourself.