info on incubating and incubators

well i have over much time on my hands at the moment so fancie trying somthing new

i already have 3 ducks and a drake, and the 3 ducks lay every day so we got alot of eggs and mr drake has relised its spring, shal we say, so thought i might have a go at incubating some of there eggs then moving on to some chickens...you know what i mean

just want to know is it a case of putting the eggs in a incubator and turning them everyday (how often do you turn them and how much?) or is there more to it....just need to know pretty much everything on them

also can anyone recomend a site to get a good cheap (about £50) incubator (or if anyone has a used one for sale that would be good), only want a small one which holds a max of 12 eggs

any help would be great :D

Edited by Rolfe

We're trying to Hatch some Pheasants fo next Season, got 50 Eggs at the moment :yes:

Gunna give some to a mate who's going to use the Incubator and then my Uncle's going to borrow a few Broody Hens to deal with the rest.

Is It true that If the Humidity's wrong then the Chicks can come out deformed?

Butch

Hi Jen, you might be better off getting a broody hen or two? Makes life sooo much easier, plus the hatch rate is ALWAYS better than using an incubator.

Most incubators are auto turning, so you only have to set them at the correct temperature and alter the humidity accordingly... they do the rest.

Duck eggs take 28 days to hatch, 3 days before hatching you should stop the rotation and leave them to 'set', also at this point the humidity needs to be increased.

Thats just scratching the surface really, but if you did a google search theres all the info you would need.

I have a Brinsea Octagon, it holds about 20 hens eggs... I would consider selling it but for more like 90 quid, as its fairly new. My banties do all my incubating nowadays.

If you do want a hen to sit on some eggs try and find a large silky or silky X sussex, also most bantams will be good broody hens but wont fit as many eggs under. I used to keep Orpingtons, they are big hens and will cover loads of eggs. Dont buy laying breeds for broodies as they are shite.. Also avoid anything crossed with Leghorn, or any breed with white lobes as they wont sit at all.

Also the after care of the chicks is no worries when using broody hen, as they will look after them for their first few weeks.

Guest traceyg

Hiya i agree a broody would be better unless you want a bigger incubator. As if you get one that holds 12 eggs they are not guaranteed to hatch. so a long time for nothing .But be careful i started with one incubator then two then three :clapper: Now i have just got a automatic one and hoping to get 2000 pheasants in it :icon_eek: Good luck it is a lot of fun watching the chicks bob out . And they only need turning twice a day .

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...p;#entry1020515