Avalanche Locators versus Deben?

Guest Fell & Moorland WTC SW area

I understand about the worth of a good Terrier. There is also a requirement to rescue a mediocre one too! <_<

What I would be interested to know is, how you would go about digging a Terrier out of an Earth on the side of a Fell, Moor or steep Forestry Block which has been located at say 49 feet? I am told the max depth is around 50 feet of the Bellman and Flint Locator. How often does your Terrier actually go off the Box for any length of time? This may sound like an easy question to answer, but think long and hard before answering. Think of the logistics and the actual practicalities of a rescue in the type of terrain I am talking about.

Perhaps this Locator comes into it's own in actually locating a Terrier which has gone in, some distance from you? Then ask yourslef "with all the new legislation which has come in, along with existing Badger Laws, should I be having Terriers running loose anyway, or should he be on Couples until we get to the Earth??

For me PERSONALLY the Jury on the Bellman & Flint Locator is still out, but as a Club Rep' I can see the advantages of having one, if only to provide the full service in locating a Dog. I just can't help seeing more limitations than advantages. What does everybody else think? Do you really want to know your Dog is 49 feet under 100's, maybe 1,000's of Tonnes of Granite or hard Clay? Some places are just impossible to dig at those sorts of depths, even so called normal Earths would be horrendous below 20-25 feet in the sorts of places mentioned.

Some of my comments seem harsh, but there are times when reality and practicality has to come to the fore surely?

I understand about the worth of a good Terrier. There is also a requirement to rescue a mediocre one too!  <_<

What I would be interested to know is, how you would go about digging a Terrier out of an Earth on the side of a Fell, Moor or steep Forestry Block which has been located at say 49 feet? I am told the max depth is around 50 feet of the Bellman and Flint Locator. How often does your Terrier actually go off the Box for any length of time? This may sound like an easy question to answer, but think long and hard before answering. Think of the logistics and the actual practicalities of a rescue in the type of terrain I am talking about.

Perhaps this Locator comes into it's own in actually locating a Terrier which has gone in, some distance from you? Then ask yourslef "with all the new legislation which has come in, along with existing Badger Laws, should I be having Terriers running loose anyway, or should he be on Couples until we get to the Earth??

For me PERSONALLY the Jury on the Bellman & Flint Locator is still out, but as a Club Rep' I can see the advantages of having one, if only to provide the full service in locating a Dog. I just can't help seeing more limitations than advantages. What does everybody else think? Do you really want to know your Dog is 49 feet under 100's, maybe 1,000's of Tonnes of Granite or hard Clay? Some places are just impossible to dig at those sorts of depths, even so called normal Earths would be horrendous below 20-25 feet in the sorts of places mentioned.

Some of my comments seem harsh, but there are times when reality and practicality has to come to the fore surely?

in soem of the places in the fells 10 feet can be "out of reach",,,,,,,,,,, so in the long run the least you can do is buy the "best affordable" locator for the ground you work .............IMHO

yis fellman

Do you really want to know your Dog is 49 feet under 100's, maybe 1,000's of Tonnes of Granite or hard Clay? Some places are just impossible to dig at those sorts of depths, even so called normal Earths would be horrendous below 20-25 feet in the sorts of places mentioned.

So what you are saying is you would rather not know if the dog was that far away so you could walk away unable to locate it?

I guess that would just be to ease your conscience.

What limitations does it have? What can't it do that the Deben job can?

Perhaps I should say the limitations there are in knowing the impossibility of some rescues, particularly at the depths this type of locator goes down to.

From what I can tell there are no more or less limitations than the Deben one.

Do you really want to know your Dog is 49 feet under 100's, maybe 1,000's of Tonnes of Granite or hard Clay? Some places are just impossible to dig at those sorts of depths, even so called normal Earths would be horrendous below 20-25 feet in the sorts of places mentioned.

So what you are saying is you would rather not know if the dog was that far away so you could walk away unable to locate it?

I guess that would just be to ease your conscience.

I would have no more or less of a conscience whether I could find the Dog and not get it, or not find the dog in the first place. My comments are nothing to do with easing my conscience. I guess part of me is saying YES I would rather not know my Dog is that far away, and I am not able to do anything.

I would think the benefits of getting such a deep reading through undiggable terrain is that you wouldnt be wasting your time searching the immediate area or wondering if the dog had exited unseen,as for rescuing a dog in undiggable earths and at undiggable depths,I think its up to the dog to work it out for him or herself how to get out,harsh I know but what else is there to do but wait.Luckily there are very few death traps in my area though accidents can always happen.

Guest ferrets1234

I would think the benefits of getting such a deep reading through undiggable terrain is that you wouldnt be wasting your time searching the immediate area or wondering if the dog had exited unseen,as for rescuing a dog in undiggable earths and at undiggable depths,I think its up to the dog to work it out for him or herself how to get out,harsh I know but what else is there to do but wait.Luckily there are very few death traps in my area though accidents can always happen.

Quite simply, if your terrier goes to ground , you must be prepared to rescue, whatever the depth, a frightening prospect , all the same, good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also want to know if my terrier was that far down cause then I would know what happend if I didnt know I would always be thinking and wondering of what happend to it. and then I would know in future that it was undiggable and too deep to let the dog in.

Guest dogbreath2004
I guess it eliminates the ifs, buts and maybes if you know where your dog is. Dead or alive.

i have used the new B and F locator a good few times,i do prefer the old type when you are at the last few feet stage they are easier to pin point more acurately but apart from that the new B and F model is a vast improvement although that bloody noise leaves a lot to be desired