Any lawn mower mechanics on here?????

Guest Chip

Thought they,d be 1 or 2 agricultural mechanics on here so here goes...

the father in law give us a petrol mower last year and said the was trouble with the carb.

theres petrol coming from a nut at the bottom of the carb... which he,s rounded off.

if it does need a carb i reckon ive source a couple for little money.

the other problem is when you pull the pull cord, with each compression oil pisses out of the exaust????

just about everything we had of him has either give us a belt,gone bang,or just didnt work.. :D

it isnt that old and i need a mower so is it a diy fix or fecked???thanks.

not a lawnmower mech but carb float may be stuck down allowing petrol to flood carb it works like a ballcock this flooding could be the reason for the oil at the ex the petrol may be going into the top of the engine and leaking past the piston and filling up the sump . hope this helps goodluck.

the father in law give us a petrol mower last year and said the was trouble with the carb.

theres petrol coming from a nut at the bottom of the carb... which he,s rounded off.

the other problem is when you pull the pull cord, with each compression oil pisses out of the exaust????

just about everything we had of him has either give us a belt,gone bang,or just didnt work.. :D

You will need a fibre washer on the nut, strip the carb and give it a good clean pay attention to the jets

drain the oil down chances are if the motor has not been run for a while petrol has leaked in to the sump(thats why oil appears from the exhaust)

clean the air filter and plug, refill engine oil put some clean petrol in and give it a pull over

When cleaning the carb count how many turns before the idle speed and mixture screw come off and then when you re assemble them put the same amount of turns back

When you start it you only need to fine tune it

I am no mechanic but if oil is coming out of the exhaust surley its coming past the rings so it does not sound too healthy to me. Unless its been stored at the wrong angle and oil has got past the rings.

I would wait a while to see if you get any more responses before spending any money on it.

You will need a fibre washer on the nut, strip the carb and give it a good clean pay attention to the jets

drain the oil down chances are if the motor has not been run for a while petrol has leaked in to the sump(thats why oil appears from the exhaust)

clean the air filter and plug, refill engine oil put some clean petrol in and give it a pull over

When cleaning the carb count how many turns before the idle speed and mixture screw come off and then when you re assemble them put the same amount of turns back

When you start it you only need to fine tune it

Hondas are usually very reliable but they have a tendancy to leak petrol if they are left for anytime through the carb into the sump and in all my years fitting ive never known a G series engine to fail so I would be most surprised if its a non runner as long as theres oil in it they are pretty much bullet proof

This is a busy time of the year for me mower servicing Ive had 6 through the shop this week most have not been fired up for 4/5 months and they all come in with to much oil in

Lesson 1 allways turn the petrol off before putting mower away Lesson 2 Drain petrol after last cut

Here endeth the lesson

the fibre washer has gone on the carb witht he nut rounded<make new one out of leather ,old belt etc if yoyu dont have one> you will have to take the carb off to get a socket on it .....be careful taking the carb off as the gaskets rip easily...if they do seal with silicon......honda carbs love sucking air in and then they run like shit

dont mess with the jets just clean with carb cleaner or petrol

check oil for petrol as said before but i doubt there will be any ....the oil in the exhaust is probaly just someone tipping it up on the wrong side

take air filter out before starting .....put it back when running....they block easily

clean plug but i doudt it will need it

check choke is working when trying to start ......they dont like starting with no choke

when you get it running put inline fuel filter on fuel pipe....fuel filter in tank is useless

good luck

I am no mechanic but if oil is coming out of the exhaust surley its coming past the rings so it does not sound too healthy to me. Unless its been stored at the wrong angle and oil has got past the rings.

I would wait a while to see if you get any more responses before spending any money on it.

Like you say you aint no mechanic for a G series engine for engine oil to pass the rings the sump would have to be pressurised and to pressurise the sump the motor has to be running or some numb nuts to have over filled with oil if its not been over filled with oil then petrol has leaked in to the sump