harris hawk bit toe of other

everiss

i have a young male harris hawk and i was given a female of 7 years old they have been next to each other in difrent avairys for the last mouth now she has decided to have ago at him they have been flying free together and lived side by side she has now biten of one of his toes right at the talon hes on atibitics now and doing well would this grow back or will it stop him hunting in eny way and do i fly them together again now or seprate from now on she was at a fat weight when she did this topost-31005-1238175589.jpgi have now boarded between them so she cant getto him has eny of you had these problem before

post-31005-1238175606.jpg

post-31005-1238175652.jpg

Edited by everiss

There's certainly a high percentage chance it could grow back depending on what sort of damage she has done, if its just the nail then you would expect it to come back! be aware sometimes they grow back twisted or a little shorter....

Reading through this is sounds like a little bit of frustration on the females behalf! a 7 year old female would be pretty receptive at that age for breeding, she could well be in breeding condition and he is failing in that department due to his age! if he is not treading her when she is waving her knickers in the air and I suspect he isn't then she will have the arse, you could try a older male in with her as it certainly isn't too late in the season.....

I'm certainly not saying 100% this is the cause of your problems. who knows whats going on in their heads but watching their behaviour can sometimes shed some light on problems.....

One other thing! if you get a older male and fancy taking the breeding route enclose the aviary to give them some privacey, they certainly can still breed the way it is but you'll probably have a higher percentage in a enclosed set up :thumbs:.....

cheers

Jasper

"Hell Have No Fury Like A Woman Scorned" so they say. some receptive females can vent their aggresion on a male behaving like a jaffa :laugh:....

by what you have said it doesn't sound like food related! the best thing mate is to panel up so they can't see each other :yes:....

cheers

Jasp

As i keep saying on these falconry thread's IM no expert like most new folk seem to think they are..but are you sure your female has done that damage..because i would of thought she would of done a lot worse if she meant it..

Did he not damage himself in the flight pen you have there on the mesh maybe.. not having a dig it's just a thought in my head that you could rule out..

Cheer's

Millet

No she defenatly had him as where they sit near each other you can see the blood all down the mesh and i looked all over to see if he could have got caught up eny where iv gained a bit more expereance from this ill put in a double skin in middle of avairy with a gap between them im so gutted as hes my first hawk and he has been so good hes had 13 phesants 2 rabbits 1 partridge a little owl witch i managed to let go again 2 big rats and he is so good to handle follows on realy well just aplesure to take out even if you dont catch many thanks for your reply hes realy cherp up now eating well and coming back out in the avairy again chers millet

al the best mark everiss