fox control with a .17hmr

Hi i'm a new member to this forum and i am just looking for some members opinion.I recently bought a cz .17hmr rifle and have fitted it with a Hawke 6.5 x 12 x 50 scope.I have been using it recently with federal ballistic tip rounds for fox control up to 150 yards and it seems to be doing the job very humanly.But some people are telling me this set up is far to weak for this job,so anyones info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

At that distance ( 150 yards ) id opt for a centerfire for fox. Sooner or later a bullet will stray slightly for whatever reason and there is only a small amount of room for error in shot placement which will produce an injured fox not a dead one.

For the occasional fox if your constabulary allows, then yes, But as a purpose bought foxing rifle at that distance then no.

i have cz varmint with 16in barrel and whildcat whisperer mtc viper 6x24x56

i have vermin and fox down on my ticket. there is no way i would try and take a fox out at 150 yards.

150 yards is to far, 50 to 70 yes as you will get a good head shot but with 150 if you miss and wound the fox it will then

die a nasty death and im not into that

iv got the same rifle mate yes they are a good hard hitting round but the law states that the 17hrm shoud not be used for fox because it is not a bigger enough bullet!! but if you hit them in the right place they will go down!!!

and what law is that ?

my 17 is cleared for fox, but been responsible i wouldnt try to hit a fox over 100yards, id use a .223 for that..

Hi i'm a new member to this forum and i am just looking for some members opinion.I recently bought a cz .17hmr rifle and have fitted it with a Hawke 6.5 x 12 x 50 scope.I have been using it recently with federal ballistic tip rounds for fox control up to 150 yards and it seems to be doing the job very humanly.But some people are telling me this set up is far to weak for this job,so anyones info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

does your fac say you can shoot foxes with it.

not vermin,fox.

not vermin,fox.

Depends on the particular authority, going by a recent topic here in this section. In some areas, lads were told that foxes were classed as vermin, so a separate fox condition was not needed.

not vermin,fox.

Depends on the particular authority, going by a recent topic here in this section. In some areas, lads were told that foxes were classed as vermin, so a separate fox condition was not needed.

but will a firearms department issue a hmr for fox, if you have no other rifle???????

There is no law that stops you shooting a Fox with a HMR if your FAC allows it. The same goes for any calibre as long as it is conditioned to the effect.

If your constabulary considers Fox to come under the "Vermin" umbrella and you have a Vermin condition on your FAC then you can shoot a Fox with it legally. If they consider Fox as a separate condition and your FAC does not state Fox next to that rifle, it can't be shot legally.

Its one of the debates in Firearms Law and with the law being so variable and enforced by difference forces in different ways, we are not likely to know until it goes to court for a test case.

As for HMR being suitable for Fox, at sensible ranges we know it will do the job, personally I don't like to take it beyond 100 yards and never have. The .22LR is conditioned for Fox in some circumstances, its all about the right tool for the job, it would be no good letting a Centrefire off when a fox is three foot down in an earth, a .22 is a great tool for this sort of dispatch, but when your talking over 100 yards at night then a centrefire is the winner.

SS :thumbs:

At that distance ( 150 yards ) id opt for a centerfire for fox. Sooner or later a bullet will stray slightly for whatever reason and there is only a small amount of room for error in shot placement which will produce an injured fox not a dead one.

For the occasional fox if your constabulary allows, then yes, But as a purpose bought foxing rifle at that distance then no.

i have vermin and fox down on my ticket. there is no way i would try and take a fox out at 150 yards.

150 yards is to far, 50 to 70 yes as you will get a good head shot but with 150 if you miss and wound the fox it will then

Spud as far as I am concerned a head shot is a big no no regardless of range - the engine room is the only place to hit in my opinion with your target broadside. What do others think?

Spud as far as I am concerned a head shot is a big no no regardless of range - the engine room is the only place to hit in my opinion with your target broadside. What do others think?

If I'm confident, headshots are ok with me, I don't have a real preference,, whichever is easier ;)

Ihave shoot foxs with 17 hmr head shoot or engine room and well dead

not vermin,fox.

but will a firearms department issue a hmr for fox, if you have no other rifle???????

Short answer is YES.

not vermin,fox.

Short answer is YES.

then they want reporting to the home office.

firearms guidance states, 17 rem and 22 hornet as minimum for fox.

17 hmr for fox s not a good reason to grant, despite the crap the fld tell us.