Help needed with recall problem

i have a saluki x, she is nearly 9 months old, I got her at 7 month, she was trained to the lamp by her previous owner (the breeder), she comes back once the lamp is off. During daytime she has had a couple of daft moments, but usually comes as soonn as called. However the last couple of walks out she has taken to chasing trains (she runs the length of the field next to the track) and will not return when called.

I am trying to stay calm but its really hard :icon_redface: could have murdered the little sod this morning :icon_eek: Im not one who belives in hitting dogs but I have been sorely tempted! (won't happen) can anyone give me some advise on how to overcome this problem?

is it a case of start all over again? is it down to a strong chase instinct?

atvb Richard

Edited by arcticgun

[i've got 2 saluki pups at 7 months. I walk/exercise them with a 14 mth old saluki bull greyhound who was hyperactive when we first got her. She used to chase sheep until I put a shock collar on her. The improvement was dramatic, it was only used for this twice. The pups now follow her lead. The dogs are very sensitive to shouting and will not accept punishment, if you do this they may not come back, you have to stay really calm. Try taking the pup for a walk and putting her on and off the lead repeatedly with plenty of praise, it may be that she associates the lead with the end of iits walk. The saluki side of her nature is very independent and she may just need to build up a bond with you. It has worked with mine. If you do go down the route and get a shock collar be very careful how much you discipline her. Good luck!

If it were me I would walk her near the trains on lead, rewarding her for not chasing and getting her use to the trains being around in a controlled manner. Have something more exciting to chase when the train passes. Does she like toys? You can have one that you only use when the train is passing to distract her, having her on lead or long line to start with?

My collie had a train chasing problem when she was a pup. Once she was at top speed she was also "deaf". On one of our regular walks, we pass close to three separate railway lines, so lots of chasing potential. What I did, was to simply be listening out for trains. As soon as I heard one in the distance, I called her in and put the lead on. This was easy enough as she only reacted as they passed, and she could see them. While the train passed, I would give her treats to keep her attention on me. That's about all really, just gave it enough time with the lead and treat method.

Trains can pass virtually unnoticed now.

Thanks to all the above, just about calmed down now, so I will start again tomorow with her, hopefully it will be a better day! I will try the above suggestions and post to let you know how she gets on, thanks again lads, atvb Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darlolad

alot of my mate's have had this problem with ther saluki x's so have i all i done was left them give up lol after 14 - 18 month she came back first call and walked at heal evan when i was lamping just take's a while when it doe's come bak give it a treat tell me if it work's has for my mate's.................D.L