BIG Fly Fishing Tip

If you are new to fly fishing, or wish to take it up. Do yourself a favour and get a lesson or two from a GAIA (Game Angling Instructors Association) game angling instructor.....It will save you money in the long run.....And a lot of frustration!

how will it save you money

self taught if free... its not exactly hard

If you are new to fly fishing, or wish to take it up. Do yourself a favour and get a lesson or two from a GAIA (Game Angling Instructors Association) game angling instructor.....It will save you money in the long run.....And a lot of frustration!

Wise words indeed, i so often see people who think that by buying the latest multi modulus rod and super slick flyline they can buy themselves instant success on the water in terms of casting distance, 'so and so uses this rod and hes famous, so i should be able to cast as far as he can if i buy the same rod right ?', the reality proves to be very different when the realisation dawns on them that their limited casting ability will never allow them to get the best from that pricey tip action light as a feather carbon masterpiece they have just spent their hard harned on, either that or the rod ends up in the trade ads as 'barely used rod for sale'

Anybody with a qualification from the above named orginasation or with REEFIS, STANIC, AAPGAI OR APGAI certificates would be in an ideal position to iron out any faults before them become serious habits, and have you casting smoothly at all distances

all the best

fin and fur

Guest Catcher

Sorry i will get belter,s for saying this.But a lot of fly fishermen (no all) are getting. :whistling: Snobby.I do mostly couse fishing.A small bit of game fishing.My son and a few of his frined,s.do abit of fly fishing.Why take all the fun out off it by telling young lad,s they are not casting right.give them time thet will learn.We all have to start some where.Fiar play if you are an old coddger starting out and have got the money by all mean,s get some lesson,s.We learn as we grow up.So dont take all the fun out of it for the lad,s by saying they have to be perfect no matter how much money it cost.Let them have some fun. :boogie::boogie: atb .catcher

the things i most hate about some fly fisherman are the "nymphys" the ones wich insist that anything other than a nymph or a buzzer is "unsporting", i can fish with any fly i want and dont care what they think of my fly. i am sometimes tempted (very childish, i know) to put on the biggest brightest most marabou and sparkle covered fly i have in my box around these pepole and come up to them and start fishing near them. also the "loop mesures" pepole who have compatishuns to see who can cast the tightest loop. pepole who are obsessive about casting and making comments on your casting.

Guest Catcher
the things i most hate about some fly fisherman are the "nymphys" the ones wich insist that anything other than a nymph or a buzzer is "unsporting", i can fish with any fly i want and dont care what they think of my fly. i am sometimes tempted (very childish, i know) to put on the biggest brightest most marabou and sparkle covered fly i have in my box around these pepole and come up to them and start fishing near them. also the "loop mesures" pepole who have compatishuns to see who can cast the tightest loop. pepole who are obsessive about casting and making comments on your casting.

Hi young man .If you are Fly or line fishing.Fair play we all do what we like best. Me and my friend,s have got a cabin booked up in loch awe for four day,s in may.Cant wait.So i can onky say to some fly fishermen ( NOT ALL) Dont look down on young lad,s.Just give then a chanch :tongue2: in five to six year,s some off them may be blowing you out the water.atb catcher.

if anything a buzzer is unsporting as you are just sitting it below an indicator most of the time. but it beats drowning a few worms

Sorry i will get belter,s for saying this.But a lot of fly fishermen (no all) are getting. :whistling: Snobby.I do mostly couse fishing.A small bit of game fishing.My son and a few of his frined,s.do abit of fly fishing.Why take all the fun out off it by telling young lad,s they are not casting right.give them time thet will learn.We all have to start some where.Fiar play if you are an old coddger starting out and have got the money by all mean,s get some lesson,s.We learn as we grow up.So dont take all the fun out of it for the lad,s by saying they have to be perfect no matter how much money it cost.Let them have some fun. :boogie::boogie: atb .catcher

Catcher i have to disagree with you there, i think that casting lessons are part of the learning process in becoming a good fly fisherman, and a good casting instructor will provide a pupil of any age with an enjoyable learning experience which should stay with him or her for as long as they fish, when i first started out fishing many years ago i went on a beginners day organised by Bristol water and held at Chew valley lake which was attended by people from 7 to 70 years of age, all attendees were taught to cast properly and all had a very enjoyable time, casting lessons needn't cost the earth either, i think Bristol waters day was £10 for the whole day (mind you that was in 2000), if you join a club then they may even organise free casting sessions for novices, one of my clubs does this for beginners the coach being APGAI qualified, in my opinion there is nothing worse than leaving a novice thrashing away at the waterside bored out of his skull because he cannot get to grips with the rudiments of basic casting, there must have been many beginners over the years who have turned their back on a sport which could have been a lifelong pastime because they cannot cast a line properly and nobody has been there to show them where they are going wrong, trust me on this money spent on casting lessons is an investment for live regardless of age or the assumed experience of the caster in question

all the best

fin and fur

I would love to see you cast a fly line!

Guest Catcher

Catcher i have to disagree with you there, i think that casting lessons are part of the learning process in becoming a good fly fisherman, and a good casting instructor will provide a pupil of any age with an enjoyable learning experience which should stay with him or her for as long as they fish, when i first started out fishing many years ago i went on a beginners day organised by Bristol water and held at Chew valley lake which was attended by people from 7 to 70 years of age, all attendees were taught to cast properly and all had a very enjoyable time, casting lessons needn't cost the earth either, i think Bristol waters day was £10 for the whole day (mind you that was in 2000), if you join a club then they may even organise free casting sessions for novices, one of my clubs does this for beginners the coach being APGAI qualified, in my opinion there is nothing worse than leaving a novice thrashing away at the waterside bored out of his skull because he cannot get to grips with the rudiments of basic casting, there must have been many beginners over the years who have turned their back on a sport which could have been a lifelong pastime because they cannot cast a line properly and nobody has been there to show them where they are going wrong, trust me on this money spent on casting lessons is an investment for live regardless of age or the assumed experience of the caster in question

all the best

fin and fur

Hi fin and fun.Your very name make.s my point.I have been hunting,shooting and fishing most of my life.The joy of doing these thing,s is you do make mistake,s and learn by them.Pluz we also learn by going out with older and wiser people who will tell us where we are going wrong.Iam not saying your wrong and i am right.Just let the lad,s have a bit of fun learning.Most of them will get there in the end.atb .catcherP.S My point was that some fly fisherman are snob,s(not all)and tend to look down on people who cant cast properly or line fish.atb .catcher :thumbs:

all the best

fin and fur

Hi fin and fun.Your very name make.s my point.I have been hunting,shooting and fishing most of my life.The joy of doing these thing,s is you do make mistake,s and learn by them.Pluz we also learn by going out with older and wiser people who will tell us where we are going wrong.Iam not saying your wrong and i am right.Just let the lad,s have a bit of fun learning.Most of them will get there in the end.atb .catcherP.S My point was that some fly fisherman are snob,s(not all)and tend to look down on people who cant cast properly or line fish.atb .catcher :thumbs:

Hi Catcher

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the subject of casting instruction although i really do feel that there are many anglers in this world who could always learn something new from a good casting instructor, you also say that we learn from going out with wiser people who tell us where we are going wrong, are they not therefore providing us with some form of casting instruction ?, although i accept that there are a few anglers out there who are indeed snobs (or who at least would in many cases smugly have themselves regarded as such) the vast majority of anglers whom i have encountered over the years, especially in clubs that i have been a member of, have been sound individuals from all walks of life, many have helped me out whilst i was learning, teaching me basic fishing skills, fly recognition etc, and many have now become firm friends, meeting friends on the riverbank has become as much a part of the 'crack' of a fishing trip as actually catching fish and in many cases having spent seasons regarding these people as an omnipresence in my fishing life i have only come to see the true influence they have had on me when they are no longer there, sorry i am digressing here but i cannot help but feel that most newcomers to this fine sport and many old hands will benefit from joining a club and being shown the rudiments of fly fishing / fly casting from qualified instructors who's tuition will set them up for life regardless of age or assumed prior experience, lessons are as much a part of a fly fishers kit as his rod and line

Book yourself a few lessons with a casting instructor and i bet he will be able to improve your casting by ironing out some lifelong bad habits that you were probably unaware of, you will be surprised how much he can improve your fishing skills, trust me it will not be money wasted

all the best Catcher

Fin & Fur

im sure you have

im sure you have

Hehe...Nice one 8shot. I probably have!