Hi All,

I was just curious as to what 'over the counter drugs' you would or have give an animal?

I've ALWAYS taken my pets straight to the vets when they needed it, but another post here has made me curious about over the counter drugs, as I've always thought human drugs can be very harmful to animals, what have you guys used or deem safe to use for your pets?

I'm not on about vitamins etc, I'm on about proper drugs. e.g asprin, antibiotics, cold mixture etc????(this is just an example, I'd NEVER endorse giving anything like this to a pet and have NEVER given anything like this to a pet)

Cheers ;)

When my dads dog had kennel cough he took her to the vets, the vet told him to buy some benadryl cough medicine, i have never used anything personally but i would if someone gave me good advice on dosages etc!

Thanks for that Hollie, while looking on the net about this I came accross the following:

Buffered Aspirin

For dogs only. Pain relief, anti-inflammatory.

1 tablet per 60 Lbs.

2 times per day

Baby Aspirin

For dogs only. Pain relief, anti-inflammatory.

1 tablet per 15 Lbs.

2 times per day

Benedryl®

Treat allergies, itching, reaction to insect stings, etc.

1 mg. per 1 Lb.

2 times per day

Dramamine®

Not for animals with glaucoma or bladder problems. Reduce car sickness.

3-25 Lb. pet - 12.5 mg.

26-50 Lb. pet - 25 mg.

51 Lb. + pet - 50 mg.

Give at least 1 hour prior to travel, no more than once a day

Pepto-Bismol®

For dogs only. Relieve vomiting or stomach gas, diarrhea.

1 tsp. per 20 Lbs.

Every 6 hours

Hydrogen Peroxide 3%

To induce vomiting after accidental ingestion of a poison.

1 Tbls. per 10 Lbs.

Up to 3 times, 10 minute intervals, until vomiting occurs

Mineral Oil

Eliminate constipation.

Dogs: up to 4 Tbls.

Cats: up to 2 Tbls.

Daily, as needed

Never give the following meds to animals:

Acetaminophen, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Nuprin, or Alieve.

KAOPECTATE/IMMODIUM (loperamide):

Can be given to dogs and cats (1 teaspoon for every 20 pounds) for diarrhea. This dosage can be repeated every 4-6 hours for 24 hours, or until symptoms begin to resolve.

ASPIRIN:

Can be given short term to dogs (never cats!) to help relieve inflammation and pain. Buffered Aspirin (Bufferin) is easier on the stomach but regular (non-coated) aspirin can also be used. Aspirin may be given once or twice a day. Always give aspirin with food.

Aspirin has potent blood thinning properties, and continued usage may be dangerous in some animals. For long term pain relief there are safer veterinary-specific alternatives.

TAGAMET (Cimetidine)/PEPCID-AC/ZANTAC:

Reduces the amount of stomach acids and can be dispensed to dogs and cats suffering from ulcers, acid reflux or belly ache. Sometimes they are used to prevent ulcers in animals taking other medications. These medications are given once to twice daily. It's best to discuss the exact dosage with your veterinarian.

GAS-X (Simethicone):

Simethicone is used in dogs to help with unusual flatulence or gas discomfort. Any dog suspected of Bloat should get 2 doses immediately before transport to the Emergency Clinic.

GLUCOSAMINE:

Glucosamine (and glucosamine in combination with chondroitin sulfate) is used to treat joint pain associated with athritis. This is a long term treatment whose effects may not be immediately noticeable.

ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENTS:

Are helpful in the treatment of small wounds, bites or minor infections. Always thouroughly clean the wound with soap and water first.

ANTIBACTERIAL SOAP:

Can be use to clean any wound or injury.

NASAL SPRAYS:

Saline nasal spray and pediatric nasal sprays (Little Noses) can be given in kittens, cats, puppies, and dogs to alleviate dryness and nasal congestion associated with a cold. No other type of OTC nasal medication should be used unless prescribed by your veterinarian.

Also a man down the road uses Detol to clean scratches and shallow cuts on his dogs.

Baby benylin is well known for using with kennel cough. My Sal's got/had infection up a nose & currently on antibiotics & antihistimines. I've know people use normal antibiotics but half the dose for a dog. Then again I know vets that use animal pills on themselves so makes sense that some stuff you can use.

Some good stuff on reply though & not heard of some of it.

On recommendation from the vet, i used the cough mixture mentioned and it worked a treat. One bit of advice though, i bought a tick ointment for my ferrets from Pets At Home. It burned through their fur and into their skin. They ended up at the vets after all. The vet mentioned they had once tried to get them to stop sell drugs and treatments but nothing came of it.