Ligaments

Guest Bushingman

Just wondering if anyone on here has had to have there dogs ligaments replaced.My bitch tore her cruciate ligaments in her left hind leg around 9 months ago. After a course of injections from the vet and some serious rest(turned into bit of a couch potato)she seems to moving a lot better on it but it still not right.The vet said if it's still bad she will have to have them replaced. Does anyone have any experience of a running dog that has had ligament replacements and run again afterwards? Thank you in advance for any help

First off mate, which cruicate and were exactly???

I to cant see how they can replace the ligament??? If it was that easy there would be alot of good dogs that wouldnt be pushing up daisys.

I dont know if you know what a ligament is exactly, and im not trying to undermine your inteligence either mate, this is a honest post.

The easiest way i can try and describe it, its like a peice of elastic band, just imagine bending your knee and the ligaments snapped, the peice of elasticated type tissue when broke would pull away from each other and you wouldnt be able to bend the knee because of it, so imagine if it was taken away completly, how could you replace and if you could what with???

Now im not saying your dog is f****d because i cant say that without knowing a bit more detail, if its not to serious it can be cured, well at least helped, the dog could make a recovery depending on the damadge, if its a real bad one i wouldnt imagine it would be repairable.

If you can give me a bit more detail i may be able to point you in the right direction to help the problem, im certainly no vet and i certainly cant work miracles, but i may be able to offer you some advice on what to do.

Guest Bushingman

Can't give you much more detail than that cos thats all the vet has told me. The ligaments haven't snapped completely they have either stretched or are partially torn.The surgery the vet was talking about is where they attach new synthetic ligaments to the bone therefore stopping the stiffle joint being able to over rotate. Hadn't heard of this surgery on dogs before but know they have done it on athletes and power lifters with some good results.

• 2 weeks later...

at the end of the day if they can do it will it be worth it not just the cost but also the amount of time it will take for the dog to fully recover and the pain it will cause the dog at the end of the day its dogs quality of life you should be thinkin of and then its not guarenteed to work causing the dog more pain, i hope it does work out , i had an exellent bitch which had the same problem and i tryed allsorts of treatments but in the end i had to pts

Guest Bushingman

Was only considering the op, and just wondered if anyone had experience of a dog having it. After much consideration i don't think i will bother she can still bush but running her off the slip might be a no no from now on.