decoying?

how many decoys would i need for air rifle pigeon shooting? also what type would i need? there seems to be loads: flocked, feeding, flexi, hi-detail, shells, on a pole, full body......

also should i put them in any patter like they do when shotgunning pigeons? and could i make a hide out of naturaul materials?

aaron

p.s got a lot of questions there! :tongue2:

When people decoy pigeons for shotguns i think they have them in a certain pattern so they fly in right for a shotgun but for an air rifle people usually just lay them about randomly and you can use any decoy but obviously the flocked are better and a mix of feeding ones and would be more effective to and finally of course you could make a hide out of naturall materials and if u get it right it will be better than hides made out of camo net etc but it will be harder and take longer to make.

use as many decoys as u can carry go for the best full body deeks you can find because if u use crap ones or half body ones ull get loads of woodies cuming in to land but thay get spooked and fly off before u get a shot off. and make a big spread horse shoe pattern about 40 meters out and 20 meters to ur left and right right back to the hedge so when the birds land in between thay are not right up close to a decoy which will giv u more time for a shot.

Edited by kenzie thorpe

Decoys are useful until you have to take them home with a big bag of game. IMO field craft good cover and a healthy shot will still make big bags..

Decoys are ok in shotgun land but not practical for air rifle shooting as you need to keep on the move to get near your quarry (unless you want to get bored sh$tless waiting for something to pop out) As these mindless gaim shows say "the choice is yours"....

Decoys are useful until you have to take them home with a big bag of game. IMO field craft good cover and a healthy shot will still make big bags..

Decoys are ok in shotgun land but not practical for air rifle shooting as you need to keep on the move to get near your quarry (unless you want to get bored sh$tless waiting for something to pop out) As these mindless gaim shows say "the choice is yours"....

timelord has a good point for all the efort you put in to decoying ull not really do as well as with a shotgun and at this time of year its best to be in the woods a couple of hour before dark with ur airgun

its just theres a few pigeons in my garden witch never come down to land and they fly away from the telephone poles before you can get close to them.

i put shells down in my garden to give them a test we get a couple of pigeon on a regular basis so dont take to much for granted when i say i put 6 decoys down and counted 16 landing in 2 hours good eh? maybe they are used to the surroundings coz they do sod all for the pigeons on my permission lol but like timelord said i get bored sitting and waiting and apparently use around 6 decoys and a pigeon magnet should speed things up