how did you start?

karl_20

• 2 weeks later...

Hi carl got into it when i saw harris hawks hunt in north devon and have been hooked since.Bought my first male harris 7 years ago and a female six years ago and hunted the in a caste ever since never looked back,i,ve also hunted a female redtail on hares rabbits and squirrels for the last 3 seasons she,s a bit unpredictable and downrite scary but theres never a dull moment.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply mate, a mate of mine is takin me out at the weekend with his female harris hawk after some rabbits, ive only ever seen birds being trained since i was a kid my mates had them but this is the first time i will see one hunt, cheers karl

Guest Catcher
just wondering how you got into falconry? as ive always been interested in pob and always known people who have had them since i was a kid, just wonderd how you started? and with what bird? cheers karl

You get a hand glider and swoop down on rabbits :whistling:

just wondering how you got into falconry? as ive always been interested in pob and always known people who have had them since i was a kid, just wonderd how you started? and with what bird? cheers karl

You get a hand glider and swoop down on rabbits :whistling:

you've alway's got to answer post's with sarcasm, which has already led to a decent lad having his account deleted, why don't you get a life :censored:

Ive alway's been into wild bird's and animal's from a young age..but what got the bug going with me was watching wild spar's taking song bird's from the big tree in the garden aswell as watching a fellow falconer walk the field out side where i live with a tidy looking Goshawk which was around 25+yr's ago..well before all this computor stuff..we still had a black and white portable with 4 channel's in them day's.. :clapper: ..

I did get offered a kestrel in them day's which i took up..i will of been about 15yrs old at the time and i was pretty cluless and it was passed on and released into the wild shortly after i played with it.. :blink: ..

After that i had a long break from wanting BOP's..in 2006 january i got the offer of a passed on female harris which i took again for £100 pound from a mate and mentor..

She was full of worm's and fret mark's and screamed terrible as the previous owner thought she was a male and cut it's weight right down to around the 1lb 13oz mark .. :blink: ..when really it should of been 2lb 2oz to 4oz as the bird finnished the season at 2lb 6oz..

I worked with the bird and got it killing good style and i calmed the footing of my hand down a bit but i could never stop the screaming..so with regret the bird had to be rehomed to a better place..as the neighbour's did not deserve the noise of this red crow..i suppose i could of persevered but the damn thing was only good for bunnies which i did not have many of at the time..and to top it of really after watching spar's in the wild this thing seemed like the lancaster bomber in the bird world..

2yr's ago i acquired what was supposed to be a spar it was only young and still downy so it was creche reared..(i think that's the term)..anyway she turned out to be a he and as you well know these little musket's are only good for song bird's which i have no intention of killing..

I did manage to make him to the fist and getting him jumping the leash length..but i was also building a garage at the time and i made the decision to hack him back into the wild rather than pass him on..

Last year after a lot of thought and reading aswell as doing load's of home work i purchased a pure finnish male Goshawk from Jasper.. :thumbs: ..this bird was a handfull to start with as he was parent reared..(just how they should be) but he sharp calmed down after countless maning session's..and he became a dream to work with..

He is in the moulting chamber for now but ive had a cracking season with him.. obviously with it's up's and down's but this bird has earned his stripe's and he will be flown by me in the new season accompanied with a new Big Finnish Female from the same good breeder.. :kiss: :yes: ..so watch this space anyone interest in PR bird's because because this new season is going to be a blinder.. :boogie: ..

Cheer's

Millet

well done mate is jasper still breeding harris hawk's ?

Guest Catcher
Hi carl got into it when i saw harris hawks hunt in north devon and have been hooked since.Bought my first male harris 7 years ago and a female six years ago and hunted the in a caste ever since never looked back,i,ve also hunted a female redtail on hares rabbits and squirrels for the last 3 seasons she,s a bit unpredictable and downrite scary but theres never a dull moment.

Good for you mate anyone who can take an wild bird and train it get,s my total respect. :clapper: I would love to try it .But just havent got the time due to work.atb catcher :notworthy::notworthy:

thanks for the reply mate, a mate of mine is takin me out at the weekend with his female harris hawk after some rabbits, ive only ever seen birds being trained since i was a kid my mates had them but this is the first time i will see one hunt, cheers karl

hi Karl ,were abouts in Lancs are you as we could have a day out next season ...John

hi john im from leyland not too far from preston, cheers karl

• 2 weeks later...