End Of Season

jasper65

Finally finished flying yesterday after a bit of a hit and miss season in the flying stakes, I never really got her going due to one thing and another so fitness was one thing she lacked in abundance. I would say this week was the most I have flown her all season and she started to show some potential towards the end when the weather was good....

It ended with a few hours out ferreting and a couple of Rabbits in the bag! there's Nothing outstanding to write home about but she did what most hawks will do when a Rabbit is bolting infront of her :victory:.

Nice one Millet with the Handy camera work! It was a bit better than mine mate when I tried to keep up with Genghis on that flight across the pit :icon_redface:, I think you and Leebo need to give me some tips :laugh:....

Its been a great week either way out with the birds or Ferreting from which we took 6! unfortunatly we had to leave earley due to the weather, I'm sure we would have been well into double figures on that peice of land with the nets if the weather didn't cave in, Looking forward to seeing you over again Millet!! I'm totaly piss bored already :victory:...

sorry but for some reason most of the pic's are out of order...

cheers

Jasper

post-251-1234552493.jpg

post-251-1234552521.jpg

post-251-1234552537.jpg

post-251-1234552562.jpg

post-251-1234552588.jpg

post-251-1234552610.jpg

post-251-1234552634.jpg

post-251-1234553448.jpg

post-251-1234553468.jpg

post-251-1234553700.jpg

Cracking pics mate

Nice one RIOHH :thumbs:. all in all it was a good week with some good company! there's two good peices of land full of Bunnies and whatever, the weather played a big part but we'll get out again sometime in the new season I'm sure :yes:

Jasp

Hi Tony, Steve.

Here's a couple from the weekend, which i've decided to make my end of season too.Had a cracking slip at an Englishman which she decided to press to cover rather than catch, because of course, they're out of season ;)

She weighed way over 2lb 12oz and was slightly naughty but I pressed on till we got a kill, to end on a high and a feed up.

Got back home Sunday night, put her out to weather yesterday with a rabbit leg to pull on, then she had a good bath and a nice afternoon in the sun.

Cheers, Jim

post-30601-1234869331.jpg

post-30601-1234869460.jpg

Nice one Jim :thumbs:

I can imagine bolting Rabbits down them hills with a Gos flat out on their arse, it looks stunning....

I'm now doing things to the aviaries I should have done weeks ago! I opened one door and the Hinge snapped which has now been replaced, but all in all with some tidying a few changes they will do for another season...

Both tiercels are now in the chambers and clucking away! the female on the other hand will be banged in hers shortly, I weighed her the other day with Gill in the Morning after she had cast, she was one fat lady weighing in at 2lb 13 1/4oz's! the picture was taken in myHawk/freezer room so its a bit untidy but you can just about see what she balanced up at....

speak on the phone soon

Tony

post-251-1234878085_thumb.jpg

post-251-1234878104_thumb.jpg

Nice one Jim :thumbs:

I can imagine bolting Rabbits down them hills with a Gos flat out on their arse, it looks stunning....

I'm now doing things to the aviaries I should have done weeks ago!

Hi Tony,

I must admit,rabbits are bread and butter on those hills Tony.I stalked a hare which tried to go uphill after 400yds before Maisie whacked it,she went in for a second go but was put off by a kessie stooping hard at her.

Sitting tight as the kessie carried on it's attack, a covey of about 20 Englishmen broke directly beneath her!

I picked her up and sat down for a breather.After a couple of minutes I got to my feet when a single partridge broke.Gos was off hell for leather after it.The partridge was so hard pressed it was 'piping' in panic.

When I got to Gos she was sat atop a smallish patch of brambles.I decided against a re-flush and upon the recall to the fist all 20 or so partridge burt out of the brambles-obviously a favorite hiding place!

I love the long slips I get with her.To see her open her wings and pump into her stride is a sight i'll never tire of.

I intend to mug a few pheasant early next season and try to get her onto feather,(not something i've done this season),to see how we get on.

You of course, will be a manic depressant by then if the breeding season does it's usual to you ;)

Do you think this mild spell will bring them in earlier than usual?

Let's hope you have a successful breeding season,(i'll talk to you about the Spars on the phone.).

All the best,

Jim

You of course, will be a manic depressant by then if the breeding season does it's usual to you ;)

Do you think this mild spell will bring them in earlier than usual?

Let's hope you have a successful breeding season,(i'll talk to you about the Spars on the phone.).

All the best,

Jim

Tell me about it mate!! its a trait I picked up of Mr Haddon! there's a good few of the genuine Gos breeders expecially the natural pair breeders who pull their hair out from time to time, I just tend to throw everything about for a few weeks more than most ;).

The biggest girl chucked out 11 eggs last year so I'm hopeing for much the same this year Jim, so far everything is on track at the moment with one more large female coming down tomorrow with Frank...

Its a funny as one of the females always comes in well ahead of the others and stands alot earlier! yet she still lays first week of april as the rest, I think she comes in early because she likes me copulateing with her, just a shame Gill doesn't :laugh:

atb

Tony

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

does your goshawks catch hares on a regular basis and do they keep hold of them ok .and are they straight at them or do they pull off sometimes . just curious . and do any of you gos hawkers have any pictures to put up id love to see them.thanhs seffa

Yes mate had a few that wanted them and a good few that fly them and pull off over their backs! most females will tackle them when in Condition but it takes a good experinced Gos to hold them regular. I don't go out expecially to fly Hares and have in the past held Inexperienced birds back from them, I have to admit most Gos's I fly these days never get to a stage of total fittness due to other comitments...

A lad I know in the picture had a female that took then Regular and fly them until their was only one outcome in her favour....

post-251-126711918082_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished flying yesterday after a bit of a hit and miss season in the flying stakes, I never really got her going due to one thing and another so fitness was one thing she lacked in abundance. I would say this week was the most I have flown her all season and she started to show some potential towards the end when the weather was good....

It ended with a few hours out ferreting and a couple of Rabbits in the bag! there's Nothing outstanding to write home about but she did what most hawks will do when a Rabbit is bolting infront of her :victory:.

Nice one Millet with the Handy camera work! It was a bit better than mine mate when I tried to keep up with Genghis on that flight across the pit :icon_redface:, I think you and Leebo need to give me some tips :laugh:....

Its been a great week either way out with the birds or Ferreting from which we took 6! unfortunatly we had to leave earley due to the weather, I'm sure we would have been well into double figures on that peice of land with the nets if the weather didn't cave in, Looking forward to seeing you over again Millet!! I'm totaly piss bored already :victory:...

sorry but for some reason most of the pic's are out of order...

cheers

Jasper

SHE' STILL GOING STRONG I SEE , WELL DONE MATE

Edited by big will