DM80 MODERATOR

Does anyone have Dave Mercers contact details - I have a DM 80 I'm very disappointed with it. Seems there was an early bigger one that worked.

Having to use the .22 at night, as the old ladies in an old peoples home 10 miles away were being woken from comas!

I have a Wildcat Whisper on my 16" CZ 17HMR, I previously had a SAK, both are OK, if I'm honest the sound reduction is pretty much on a par.However the Wildcat is fully stripable, and only extends the rifle by about 3" (Old money). So if only for that it trumps the SAK. If you shoot five or six rounds through the Wildcat on a cold night (is there any other kind?) then pull it apart you will find it is soaking in condensation and full of grey 'grit', I presume the same condition effects the other moderators, so being able to strip it fully is an advantage.

The DM80 looks 'on paper' fairly good, but I couldn't get to handle/see one no matter how hard I tried, I eventually got the Whisper at the 2008 CLA Gamefair from Gun shop Rugby boys, I live in Devon but worked in Coventry for a couple of years and used to go over to Martins shop regularly for something to do, so I got to know the chaps there.

It's very well made and I recommend it, I also have a Wildcat Predator 8 on my .270, that's a whole lot of cartridge and the Wildcat tames it nicely, again fully stripable with 'O' rings and good materials.

Not the cheapest around but the best rarely is, is it??

All the best!

AF

From my experience with both I would tend to agree but at a price around £35 for the SAK and £125 for the Whisper I'm happy to take my chances with the SAK and then throw it away and buy another in a few years if required!! The SAK is also pretty easy to strip and clean should you want to! But it will extend the rifle about 1" more than the Whisper! :thumbs::thumbs:

The DM80 I used beats them both for sound reduction........BY A FRACTION!!!.. :thumbs:

I do quite like my Predator 8's. They are easy to strip and the Compact8 versions I have on my .223 and .243 are quite light too, on a 270 or above the normal Predator 8 rather than Compact is advisable, but there are definitely moderators that do a better suppression job then the P8, but I accept this for the trade off in lowish price, construction and parts availability!

I had a DM80 on my CZ452 17hmr. As stated before, no moderator will make a .17hmr really quiet, but I thought the difference between not having a DM80 and having one was pretty considerable.

It's always very difficult to compare differences in sound when going purely by ear... Just too many variables.

Looking to get a mod for my .22-250 soon... Now THAT'S loud!!

Edited by humperdingle
Guest Ralfy II

I use DM's on all my guns ranging from 17-30.06 cals, they work superb & hassle free! As for t6 & 8 most i had dropped to bits, & the rest well........

sak is a good small cal unit, also. Value for money both.

I have a DM 80, kills rabbits by bursting their ear drums. £100 paperweight anyone?

raymondbacon seems a bit strange why you have made yourself a new member on 2 gun forums done 1 post on each and slagged someones product off it just stinks you would not be a rival mod maker by chance :) i dont get many complaints but i listen to all if you want to talk why not contact me i would be happy to talk all my details are with the mod you so called purchased also why dont you fill in your users profile let everyone know who you are before you slag them off.

best regards

dave.

if you can get one mate the best one i have heard is the stealth A7 very rare to get your hands on but are mint!! iv got a wildcat whisper on my 17HMR and my friend has a A7 on his and side by side his is half as quiet as mine!! trust me there mint!!!

Any one posting on here or else where after advise should be well warned regards the dealers and their mates :angel: pushing products in posts, could it be they have had a freebie :icon_redface: 17HMR SAK mod will do the job just as good as any other on the market,I have had HMR's since they first arrived I aint no two minute shooter like some