Advice needed please.

Ive had my 2 lurchers on 'connollys red mills' for greyhounds,more or less since ive got them. The reason i chose this one is the high protein content (27%) which i have been told is an important factor in running dog health.

On top of the dry stuff i also feed them 2 tins of pilchards or mackerel in oil,once or twice a week,and they get any scraps that are left off cooking or that i dont eat.

My problem is this,the dogs have recently been just sniffing at their food and picking at it,they dont seem to wolf it down the way they used to?

The last fortnight ive been off ive had them out a lot more than normal,so i would of thought they would of been hungrier?

Anyway,im going to try changing the dry complete that theyre on,any advice on what i should be looking for in a dry complete food? High protein? Or what?

Hi Donk, dont know if this helps buddy, but i use skinners field 26% protein the spaniels goes well on it, but I went through the same a while ago with a lurcher. I started adding some raw snap in the dry and worked a treat, good luck mate.

Cheers for that bunson.

Read another thread 6 pages away from this one lol. 'Gain' for greyhounds seems to be getting good reports,i'll have to have a look around the local suppliers see whats readily available.

Easiest way to cure a fussy dog. . . . . put the food down, leave for 10 mins if they don't eat it pick it up and wait till the next meal, continue until they eat it. . . . they'll get hungry and i've never known a dog to starve itself!

This normally works, obviously their are exceptions to every rule. . . . don't starve your dogs longer than 3 days!

Easiest way to cure a fussy dog. . . . . put the food down, leave for 10 mins if they don't eat it pick it up and wait till the next meal, continue until they eat it. . . . they'll get hungry and i've never known a dog to starve itself!

This normally works, obviously their are exceptions to every rule. . . . don't starve your dogs longer than 3 days!

Whilst what you've written is true, wouldn't you rather that your dog actually enjoyed its food??

Whilst what you've written is true, wouldn't you rather that your dog actually enjoyed its food??

Of course thats why i feed mine raw, the point i was making is that if you allow a fussy dog to dictate what it eats, you can end up with a very limited selection of feeds, not all of which will be nutritionally sound.

It's the same principle as allowing children to only eat processed foods, and cooking whatever they choose. Slippery slope.

Of course thats why i feed mine raw, the point i was making is that if you allow a fussy dog to dictate what it eats, you can end up with a very limited selection of feeds, not all of which will be nutritionally sound.

It's the same principle as allowing children to only eat processed foods, and cooking whatever they choose. Slippery slope.

I know what you mean by 'the slippery slope'. Thing is if i do that my bitch naffs off when were out and ends up eating something thats dead and rotten,lol. Or stands outside the chippy sniffing at people til they feed her,lol,very embarressing :icon_redface:

Yes Kay, high protien can drive some dogs (and owners) up the wall. A working/active dog though should'nt have too much trouble as they will burn it off pretty quickly, and need the extra protiens for this reason.

hell,i really need to start understanding what this food shennanigans is all about,thanks for the replies all. Im gonna try a few more feeds then start gtting tough :angel:

Yes Kay, high protien can drive some dogs (and owners) up the wall. A working/active dog though should'nt have too much trouble as they will burn it off pretty quickly, and need the extra protiens for this reason.

So what sort of percentage would a dog need if its not worked ?

No offence Donk, but you don't sound very tough!! ;)

:o lol,i used to be,but your right im not these days,thats a story for another time and another thread though :D:victory:

So what sort of percentage would a dog need if its not worked ?

I would say 18-20% Kay. And remember there is a difference between animal and vegetable based protien in dry dog food...animal based is better for muscle etc. Also check the fat, in a working dog, it will be about 18% (I think) you only need about 6% for none working ;)

Donk....you have never been tough all the years ive known you, just a pussy cat :D

Ok 20% protein & about 6% fat then :thumbs:

thanks Molly