ESS X Greyhound Whippet

Hi Guys,

I have a lovely Springer Spaniel bitch that is a failed gundog as she's gunshy, but apart from that she's perfect. She is biddable, mannerly, trainable, good natured, mad to hunt, safe with ferrets and very intelligent. She hasn't got the speed to catch a rabbit in an open field but she's great to hold them when they hit the net, and she marks warrens for me as well.

At the moment she is my only ferreting dog, and I also usually bring my cousins Grey x Whippet who is a great rabbiting dog and super fast to catch any bolters.

I am seriously considering crossing her with the Grey x Whippet hoping to get an ideal ferreting dog. A ferreting dog is mainly what I want, maybe the odd trip with the lamp but a ferreting dog 95% of the time.

In theory it sounds like it would work but I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this cross and whether it was any good or a complete waste of time.

Like I said, I'm only asking the question from a hypothetical point of view at this moment and the bitch isn't even in season yet.

Sensible and constructive replies only please.

My mate used to have a sprocker x whippet,it was a great for bushing and catching bolters because the extra leg from the whippet but for ferreting i would give it a shot mate i do not know how it would fair on the lamp though :hmm: ..good luck what ever you decide to do mate :thumbs:

Edited by sniper
Hi Guys,

I have a lovely Springer Spaniel bitch that is a failed gundog as she's gunshy, but apart from that she's perfect. She is biddable, mannerly, trainable, good natured, mad to hunt, safe with ferrets and very intelligent. She hasn't got the speed to catch a rabbit in an open field but she's great to hold them when they hit the net, and she marks warrens for me as well.

At the moment she is my only ferreting dog, and I also usually bring my cousins Grey x Whippet who is a great rabbiting dog and super fast to catch any bolters.

I am seriously considering crossing her with the Grey x Whippet hoping to get an ideal ferreting dog. A ferreting dog is mainly what I want, maybe the odd trip with the lamp but a ferreting dog 95% of the time.

In theory it sounds like it would work but I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this cross and whether it was any good or a complete waste of time.

Like I said, I'm only asking the question from a hypothetical point of view at this moment and the bitch isn't even in season yet.

Sensible and constructive replies only please.

i use to run a bedie wippet x ess put back to a wippet only uesed him on the lamp but he was a good little lamp dog hartlepool hunter had his sister. but i have never seen a first x ess wippet but as you have sead your ess can be used for ferreting so the bit of speed from the wippet should only improve on what you have. ;)

should be an interesting cross... as a well bred springer is intelligent, tough and has bags of stamina will work all day for you.

But on the downside a first cross might throw a bit on the heavy side, would still make a good ferreting dog though.

If used for lamping the cross might have to much nose and could hunt up rabbits after theyve long gone.

Keep us posted if you decide to give it a go! :victory:

could turn out too inclined to use its nose for lamping but it would probably make a handy ferreting dog. are you planning to put a grey/whippet over the spaniel biitch, if so the cross will still be pretty heavy. one of those pups put back to a whippet/grey would probs make a right handy dog.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I like the idea of the cross as the ESS bitch I have would be the perfect ferreting dog only for she is just too slow. What she does have thought is stamina, brains, nose, super coat, trainability and a natural instinct to hunt and retrieve.

My cousins Grey x Whippet on the other hand, has loads of speed, massive acceleration is also very biddable and trainable but on the down side, he doesn't have massive stamina and has a very thin coat.

So, in theory, this should be perfect but as we all know it doesn't always work that way.

I'm still in two minds to be honest as she's not in season for another few weeks and I hate the idea of breeding a litter of unwanted puppies.

i did a bit of beating with a game keeper a few seasons back and he had a springer and a related springer x whippet x springer, the original springer was the ligter smaller type not the huge kc stuff and was a maniac! the other was a relative but calmer and pretty quick! it coursed bunnies as we were beating a field and got every one.he said it was as hardy as the springer with almost as much stamina (it looked a bit more tired after a 8hr day) his son had tried it ferreting and worked well.

it depends how big the springer is i should think but a whippet/grey should be able to take it?

scotty

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I like the idea of the cross as the ESS bitch I have would be the perfect ferreting dog only for she is just too slow. What she does have thought is stamina, brains, nose, super coat, trainability and a natural instinct to hunt and retrieve.

My cousins Grey x Whippet on the other hand, has loads of speed, massive acceleration is also very biddable and trainable but on the down side, he doesn't have massive stamina and has a very thin coat.

So, in theory, this should be perfect but as we all know it doesn't always work that way.

I'm still in two minds to be honest as she's not in season for another few weeks and I hate the idea of breeding a litter of unwanted puppies.

my mate has done this x before only the bitch was the gray x whippet and ess the dog ......

very good breed if you use them properly

but becouse your x is other way round i think thay will take more aftar the mum but sill good dogs :thumbs: