whippet x greyhound

ive just been geting a whippet x greyhound pup are they any good on rabbits or on the lamp pm me let me know what you think i think differnt :gunsmilie:

alright nightstalker i own a first cross whippit grayhound 24 inch dog its got speed stamina strike when 100 per sent fit there amazing the only advice is make sure there not of 2 sprinters try and get them of coursen whippits and distance grayhounds thats just my personal opinion rabbits hares roe with ease good luck

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mickyrichardson
My opinion is they are a fast cross make good lamping dogs not enough STAMINA for hair coarsing :victory:

hi l av this first cross whippet greyhound sooty sam lines to a irish coursing bitch , best dog l av ever had an for stanima mate this bitch done 3 out 3 hares ,and took them a couple off fields ,and retrieved them , one off the deepest chest iv seen on a bitch , and killing hares regular ,[bANNED TEXT] mate comes around l put pics on here to prove it, this bitch as loads off stanima ,best 200 sobs l ever spent on a dog

LET ME PUT THINGS RIGHT AS I AINT PUT IT ACROSS HOW IT IS WOULD YOU BUY A WHIPPET/GREYHOUND AS A OUT AND OUT HAIR DOG FOR BIG LAND BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT NIGHTSTALKER THINKS HE HAS BOUGHT I NO THERE IS SOME CRACKING WHIPPET/GREYS ABOUT BUT IF YOU WANT A DOG FOR HAIR COARSING YOU DONT GET A WHIPPET/GREY THAT IS MY POINT AND IM NOT DOUBTING YOUR DOG TAKING 3 OUT 3 MATE SORRY IF I WAS MISUNDERSTOOD

saw enough of whippet greyhounds localy to realise there not the dogs you want to work in harsh weather hard stony feilds wet nites , not saw one that would last feet wise over shitty ground season in season out, the ground i work either feet like good saluks or colli or kelpi , anything else youll get lameness , its no party out there three times a week in all sorts of condition and then put them in a kennel at nite a dry off and there bouncing again , i realy think thye have neither the wind or wieghtt o catch roe all the time or hares on big stony feilds or we would have all got them full stop , i would love to have one to say he is the dog but after three or four season i would be aski ng alot i think as they lose stoppers as there to fast, ground not suitable but my ole saluki never evn lost sweat and caught four rabbs her two, i think if they were the bees nees everybody would have then saw enough to realise not strong enough to pull roe hares etc week in week out in all weather and send in cover to push game out, and then expect them to get a fox and stand ferreting all day ,

Guest blue_boy
saw enough of whippet greyhounds localy to realise there not the dogs you want to work in harsh weather hard stony feilds wet nites , not saw one that would last feet wise over shitty ground season in season out, the ground i work either feet like good saluks or colli or kelpi , anything else youll get lameness , its no party out there three times a week in all sorts of condition and then put them in a kennel at nite a dry off and there bouncing again , i realy think thye have neither the wind or wieghtt o catch roe all the time or hares on big stony feilds or we would have all got them full stop , i would love to have one to say he is the dog but after three or four season i would be aski ng alot i think as they lose stoppers as there to fast, ground not suitable but my ole saluki never evn lost sweat and caught four rabbs her two, i think if they were the bees nees everybody would have then saw enough to realise not strong enough to pull roe hares etc week in week out in all weather and send in cover to push game out, and then expect them to get a fox and stand ferreting all day ,

im not sure about this mate i've read a couple of your posts and it seems to me you hate whippets and whippets types and don't ever have anything good to say about them. so it's not the dog for you each to there own so why post shite up i've seen a whippet gryhound piss all over a very well known sulluki cross around here a few years back and the funniest thing was it was on rough ground. you think you've seen it all and your so wise shut up and take your muts out for abit of work they must be getting bored watching you sit there slaging dogs that aint your type off. Your boring me mate can't be arsed replying to you mate as you aint got anything good to say about nothing :feck::thumbdown:

im not sure about this mate i've read a couple of your posts and it seems to me you hate whippets and whippets types and don't ever have anything good to say about them. so it's not the dog for you each to there own so why post shite up i've seen a whippet gryhound piss all over a very well known sulluki cross around here a few years back and the funniest thing was it was on rough ground. you think you've seen it all and your so wise shut up and take your muts out for abit of work they must be getting bored watching you sit there slaging dogs that aint your type off. Your boring me mate can't be arsed replying to you mate as you aint got anything good to say about nothing :feck::thumbdown:

I'm glad you said that mate as I very nearly did!! Nice one. :notworthy:

Guest little lurcher

ive got a non ped as they are also known by , she raced and took titles but wasnt fast enough trapping , she was very novice on lamp due to never doing it lol but apart from being a little too fast and over shooting at times , i havent had a problem with her , she retrieves live to hand , her feet and stoppers were a problem to begin with many days were lost through MY bad preparation and dogs feet not being ready to do what i wanted, she is road worked and i also run her down a private tarmac road to keep her feet tight as well , never had a problem with stamina after i got her work not race fit , she is a power house of 24 inch and if i had to cut back to just 4 dogs she would be one of my four , 2 being whippets and the other a kerry blue cross i have , she has far exceeded my expectations and the only thing she never took pre ban was a red or a fox , what more could i ask , i would have bred from her but she never came in on the right times

they do require a bit more prep in the feet dept but for rabbitting and general mooching i cant see why an ex non ped wouldnt do the job ?

excellent rabbiting dogs on the lamp. rate them out of any other lurchers for running rabbits on the lamp. iv seen them take hares preban on the lamp no problem not enough stamina through day unless they get them in that first burst. laguna whippets are also good dogs more size more stamina thats my opinion.

fast as f**k....to fast sometimes...as for coursing for 3 minutes as one fella said ....it would be over i 30 secs..there a hunting dog not a coursing dog......but you need the right ground for them

I think the thing that most are trying to say is that it depends on the dog not the breeding, as not every Whippet x Greyhound is the same.

Some are big some, are small.

Some have good feet, some don't.

Some are wimps, some are not.

Some are fast in spurts and some have more stamina.

etc, etc.

I think everyone knows what I meen, judge the dog not what breed it is. MRD.

fast as f**k....to fast sometimes...as for coursing for 3 minutes as one fella said ....it would be over i 30 secs..there a hunting dog not a coursing dog......but you need the right ground for them

I think the thing that most are trying to say is that it depends on the dog not the breeding, as not every Whippet x Greyhound is the same.

Some are big some, are small.

Some have good feet, some don't.

Some are wimps, some are not.

Some are fast in spurts and some have more stamina.

etc, etc.

I think everyone knows what I meen, judge the dog not what breed it is. MRD.

i agree....there all different...but what im saying is (as i own one) that there a good dog but not a match dog....more suited to kick ups and the quick bursts.....(although mine has never pulled up i have to say)..but round here they dont last 2 minutes.....mine has spent most of its life on 3 legs....and is just to fragile for the terrain..in them small fields thay are mustard tho and will be on the case in no time....good dogs but the ground needs to be right

edited to add....i hink we are looking at it from different angles here.........my advice to anyone getting one....is get from working (hunting) stock...rather than racing stock....a bit slower but will take far more stick

Edited by swamper
  • 1 year later...

I got a 241/4" bitch, I have had her on the lamp a couple of times, not as good as the dog I was running her with. She has always hunted up, so she would not come back as quick. Also they tear easily. I would not get rid of her for the world though. She hunts like a hound now she is getting on.