This may be a dum question ........but

Guest JOEB

Just reading H & W Terriers by Cpt Lucas, and an MFH states that entering a terrier to any other quarry will ruin a fox/earth dog.

I know this is an old book, but is this true?

If it is, I would be very intrested to know why?

As I say, this may be a dumb question..but I will put my hands up and say I really have no idea :icon_redface:

Cheers,

JOEB

Guest Dillon

Its a long time since I read the book Joeb, but in my opinion using a terrier for rabbits ruins it for real earth work.

If he meant other Quarry :ph34r: then pure bollox.

Cheers

Dillon

Its a long time since I read the book Joeb, but in my opinion using a terrier for rabbits ruins it for real earth work.

If he meant other Quarry :ph34r: then pure bollox.

Cheers

Dillon

Thanks for the reply Dillon :good: , why dose using it for rabbits ruin it?

Cheers Mate

JOEB

Thanks for the reply Dillon :good: , why dose using it for rabbits ruin it?

Cheers Mate

JOEB

Because if you want an out n out digging dog

you dont want to be digging down to your

terrier trying to get to a rabbit :whistle:

jay

dddoooohhh! :icon_redface:

Cheers fellas,

JOEB

There are a lot of myths involved with terrier work,some swear by not letting a dog hunt rabbits etc.The only rabbits Ive dug to have been with terriers that are frustrated at sitting in the kennel all their lives.Ive bushed rabbits to lurchers with all my terriers from puppyhood it brings them on quicker and it gets them street(field) wise. At a young age gentle persuasion is usualy enough to get them used to the idea of hunting them on top but leaving them to ground,a terrier that leaves the real quarry to move on to a rabbit is probably lacking anyway wether its hunted rabbits legitimatly or not.As for marking rabbits to ground,get them out early enough enter them properly and IMHO its not written in stone that your terrier will work rabbit to ground.This is of coarse only my opinion and perhaps ime persuaded a bit by the fact that I dont like to have my dogs doing nothing between spring and autumn.My terriers kill rats I encourage them to, I hunt a lot of urban areas full of rats and fox earths Ive never dug to a rat with any of my terriers either.lol.

There are a lot of myths involved with terrier work,some swear by not letting a dog hunt rabbits etc.The only rabbits Ive dug to have been with terriers that are frustrated at sitting in the kennel all their lives.Ive bushed rabbits to lurchers with all my terriers from puppyhood it brings them on quicker and it gets them street(field) wise. At a young age gentle persuasion is usualy enough to get them used to the idea of hunting them on top but leaving them to ground,a terrier that leaves the real quarry to move on to a rabbit is probably lacking anyway wether its hunted rabbits legitimatly or not.As for marking rabbits to ground,get them out early enough enter them properly and IMHO its not written in stone that your terrier will work rabbit to ground.This is of coarse only my opinion and perhaps ime persuaded a bit by the fact that I dont like to have my dogs doing nothing between spring and autumn.My terriers kill rats I encourage them to, I hunt a lot of urban areas full of rats and fox earths Ive never dug to a rat with any of my terriers either.lol.

Thanks Kane, thats a bit more in depth.

The reason that I asked the question is that I have 2 russells, I dont work terriers to fox/digging so I will get that out the way 1st, 1 dogs has been tryed (not by me) and failed.

Fair enough, he aint got it in him and its not what I want him for, but I am almost certain that my other russell would work what ever was put in front of him, hes just that way.

So this is why I asked the question, as I was confused.

Maybe if a dogs got it in him, it dont matter what he works, he will just work it all?

Intrested to see what other people think.

JOEB

PS: Let me just say that I dont want to start digging to dogs, to lazy for that, just found the comment intresting.

Guest Dillon

I agree in part, in the fact that it certainly does help with being street(field) wise as you say and certainly encourages the use of their nose from an early age, I have however experienced both types of dogs, the ones that know to leave them alone once the real work starts ie fox :ph34r: and also the ones that won't f*****g leave them alone, I would not keep a digging dog that was a persistent rabbiter as its not my chosen quarry.

With my dogs and my experience its not due to being frustrated in a kennel either as all my dogs are walked plenty throughout the summer ratting and f*****g about, I personally think some will and some wont. The dogs I keep get much more WORK in the winter than summer of course but still do a few miles a day through summer, I have never allowed dogs to get bored - they are too intelligent for that and I don't deem it fair.

And I have told you before Kane keep away from my spots ;) I am the only Urban foxing king of London :laugh:

Guest holey

hi joe its holey here just wondering how gin is getting on as i havent heard from you since you took him on monday mate hope he is ok i miss him alot funny enough please send me a picture soon of him with other ferrets if you got anymore in with him i would be grateful mate if you would holey

hi joe its holey here just wondering how gin is getting on as i havent heard from you since you took him on monday mate hope he is ok i miss him alot funny enough please send me a picture soon of him with other ferrets if you got anymore in with him i would be grateful mate if you would holey

Hes getting on great Holey, climbing all over me, my wife & kids, seems to love the attention.

Sorry I havnt sent any pictures yet, will get some sorted over the weekend if I get time.

All the best,

JOEB

Guest holey

Hes getting on great Holey, climbing all over me, my wife & kids, seems to love the attention.

Sorry I havnt sent any pictures yet, will get some sorted over the weekend if I get time.

All the best,

JOEB

i know he loves all the attention he is a proper womans man ha ha the little tart thanks anyway mate hope he brings you luck in the winter months like he did me :good: