Is this dieselling and what should I do about it?

I'm finding that I'm seeing puffs of 'smoke' when I fire the gun (Umarex 850 airMagnum .22 (CO2!!)), especially at night (lamp on) and when it's foggy.

I also get a whiff of burnt fuel (petrol / diesel?).

Is this something I should be worried about?

Is it just the CO2 getting expelled as normal and I'm just getting paranoid?

is it how I hold the rifle (nose up) when I cock it (does this allow the liquid CO2 into where it shouldn't be)?

Cheers,

Alan

This is quite normal for CO2 to puff like this especially when the canister is brand new. In fog well it will be more visible because the CO2 that comes out of the barrel is a lot colder than the warmer air in foggy conditions.

As Big bald beautiful has pointed out dieseling only happens to springers and CO2 stinks real bad and now you mention it 'just like fuel'...

This is quite normal for CO2 to puff like this especially when the canister is brand new. In fog well it will be more visible because the CO2 that comes out of the barrel is a lot colder than the warmer air in foggy conditions.

As Big bald beautiful has pointed out dieseling only happens to springers and CO2 stinks real bad and now you mention it 'just like fuel'...

I read somewhere that depending on how the bottle is tilted when you reload, liquid (rather than just the gas) gets out and produces a cloud as per your explanation above.

I must admit to being confused about the fuel smell though, as I have never put oil into the barrel. Must just be the CO2.

The puff is irritating esp. at night as it blocks your view of the quary (with the lamp on anyway), exactly when you need to see clearly what is going on.

I haven't seen snow so far this year :D

I'm still sending slugs straight through the rabbits at very low temperatures so power drop-off isn't a big worry.

Not being able to see where the slugs go is a pain though.

Whatever: as long as the puff isn't something to get worked up about, I'm a happy chap. Cheers for the replies.

Alan