A quick tip if you can't locate your ferret underground.

I took my best jill out this week to ferret a small copse on the side of a by-pass.

I like to "tune in" to the surroundings, and as I hunt alone I often rely on my sense of hearing to hear if my ferrets have slipped out of a concealed hole or if they have a bunny in a dead-end underground.

With this in mind I decided to attach a small bell to her collar with a cotton thread as the traffic was sure to hinder my normal hearing.

Netted up 12 holes,straight down,waited............and waited.

She nearly always bolts within 5 minutes unless she has one holed up and after 20 minutes, I began all the usual worries.

Has she fallen down a deep hole?,has she met a fox? etc.

Get the mk 1 finder out...Nothing.

I then realise the traffic is making me feel very frustrated and vow never to come here again!

Then I somehow managed to ignore the traffic and I became aware of a wren about 20 yards away chirring away an alarm call.

No cats around here and a fox would have spotted me easily......I wonder.

I tramped through the brambles towards the angry wren and sure enough there was my little white beauty picking her way through them about 20 yds away.

So,especially if you are new to ferreting.......TUNE-IN TO NATURE!!

It's what hunting is all about.And and it could save you going home thinking your ferret was lost when actually it was just a short walk away all the time.

Hope this helps someone one day ;)

Mooster :)Forgot to say ....the bell had fallen off anyway!

Edited by mooster

well done mate in geting your ferret back ... yer thats what i ust to do when i was on my own i herd a black bird do its warning call and thought it might of been my ferret but it wernt lol she was still down the hole but as you proved it dose work listen to the nature around you :thumbs: