advice on zeroing rifle

Alright people just postig to get a few peoples opinions on how to run in a new centre fire rifle,i have just bought a 30.06 tika t3 centre fire rifle and was talking to fellow about running in a new rifle and he said (1)clean rifle run 1st round through it (2)clean again run 2nd round through it(3)run 3rd round through it clean again (4) run 4th round through it clean again(5) run 5th round through it clean again and then after 20 rounds pass through it clean tourally every 20 rounds lookin to be educated (thanks in advance)

This is what remington recommend...

For the first 20 shots, you should do the following:

For the first 10 shots, run a patch saturated with Rem Oil through the bore after each of the first 10 shots, and follow up with a patch saturated with Remington Brite Bore, and finally a clean patch to remove all residue.

For each of the next 10 shots, run a patch saturated with Rem Oil through the bore after every two shots, and follow up with a patch saturated with Remington Brite Bore, and finally a clean patch to remove all residue. Now follow the cleaning guidelines below:

To ensure the highest possible barrel quality/life, you should repeat this cleaning procedure every 20-25 shots until the barrel has had at least 100 rounds through it. Failure to do so could result in excessive build up of fouling (copper/lead deposits) in the bore causing decreased accuracy and requiring more frequent cleaning between shots.

1.) Saturate a patch with Rem Oil, run the patch thru the bore 5 times to remove powder residue, fouling and to “wet†the bore. Toss the patch when done with this step.

2.) Saturate a new clean patch with Remington Brite Bore Cleaner, run that patch thru the bore (from breech end ONLY, requires removal of bolt on bolt action rifles) and make 20 passes through the barrel (10 Cycles) - patch should be wrapped around the bore brush, toss patch when done.

3.) Saturate a new patch with Rem Oil, run patch in bore 5 times and let soak in the barrel for 10-20 minutes, you can use a patch tip vs. bore brush for this step.

4.) Saturate the bare brush with Remington Brite Bore Cleaner. Make 20 passes (10 Cycles) thru the bore.

5.) Saturate a new patch with Rem Oil and run patch in bore 5 cycles, let soak in bore for 10 minutes.

6.) Push 3 clean patches on a patch tip or around the bore brush thru the barrel to remove excess solvent and Rem Oil. (run a light coat of Rem Oil through the bore on a clean patch if you are going to store the rifle for any length of time).

Barrel cleaning is now complete.

This is what remington recommend...

For the first 20 shots, you should do the following:

For the first 10 shots, run a patch saturated with Rem Oil through the bore after each of the first 10 shots, and follow up with a patch saturated with Remington Brite Bore, and finally a clean patch to remove all residue.

For each of the next 10 shots, run a patch saturated with Rem Oil through the bore after every two shots, and follow up with a patch saturated with Remington Brite Bore, and finally a clean patch to remove all residue. Now follow the cleaning guidelines below:

To ensure the highest possible barrel quality/life, you should repeat this cleaning procedure every 20-25 shots until the barrel has had at least 100 rounds through it. Failure to do so could result in excessive build up of fouling (copper/lead deposits) in the bore causing decreased accuracy and requiring more frequent cleaning between shots.

1.) Saturate a patch with Rem Oil, run the patch thru the bore 5 times to remove powder residue, fouling and to “wet†the bore. Toss the patch when done with this step.

2.) Saturate a new clean patch with Remington Brite Bore Cleaner, run that patch thru the bore (from breech end ONLY, requires removal of bolt on bolt action rifles) and make 20 passes through the barrel (10 Cycles) - patch should be wrapped around the bore brush, toss patch when done.

3.) Saturate a new patch with Rem Oil, run patch in bore 5 times and let soak in the barrel for 10-20 minutes, you can use a patch tip vs. bore brush for this step.

4.) Saturate the bare brush with Remington Brite Bore Cleaner. Make 20 passes (10 Cycles) thru the bore.

5.) Saturate a new patch with Rem Oil and run patch in bore 5 cycles, let soak in bore for 10 minutes.

6.) Push 3 clean patches on a patch tip or around the bore brush thru the barrel to remove excess solvent and Rem Oil. (run a light coat of Rem Oil through the bore on a clean patch if you are going to store the rifle for any length of time).

Barrel cleaning is now complete.

thank's alot a bit of good advice well appreciated

A variation that I have use on the last 6 new rifles I bought

Firstly and most importantly give the new bore a thorough clean before you fire the first shot - reason? some manufacturers coat the bore with an oil based substance to prevent it from rusting during transit and storage.

Anyway

Fire 1 then clean

Fire 1 then clean

Fire 1 then clean

Fire 3 then clean

Fire 3 then clean

Fire 3 then clean using also a phosphor brush

Fire 5 then clean

fire 5 then clean

Fire 5 then clean using also a phosphor brush

Fire 10 then clean

Fire 10 then clean

Fire 10 then clean using also a phosphor brush and a clean with J B Compound

All this may seem very laborious but when you have paid hard earned money for something that will give you pleasure for a few years, getting it right from the start is not a waste of time.

Finally, JB Compound is very abrasive - it should only be used every 70 shots or so - read the instructions on the pot

Peter

How come you have to clean the barrel on these calibre guns so often? Would you have to do the same say with a 243 or something of that nature ?

yes mate the barrel break-in is the same on every centre-fire calibre.......

everyone has a different cleaning routine, and break in.

but it can only help and reduce the fouling build up later on. ;)

Just got my hands on my CZ Varmint 223 today and this is what I'm doing:-

1. Clean out the factory greese. I used Hoppes #9 powder solvent (thats all I had here to use) and dipped a bronze brush in it and scrubed out the bore. Then plenty of wet patches, they came out with plently of sh!te on them. Repeted that a couple of times and then dry patched until patches were clean. Took the gun off the stock and gave it a good oil and clean all over with Brunox spray oil.

2 Now I'll do the shoot 1 - clean. Shoot 1 - clean and so on as above.

It may use a box of ammo and take some time but what harm can it do????? :clapper:

Then took the new gun to bed for the night, all nicely tucked up, the misses will have to sleep downstairs for a couple of nights now. :icon_redface:

Edited by clivej
your a worry Clive..... :no::no::no:

"I love the smell of Gun oil in the morning" is what springs to mind Clive :laugh::clapper:

I woke this morning with my finger on a warm TRIGGER :censored:

What an Aphrodisiac everything was UP before me this moring.

Edited by clivej