Cleaning Tips for .22

Guest JohnGalway

About as often as I change cars to be honest. I only use a .22 boresnake on it, making sure that the snake doesn't rub on the crown on the way out. All you'll be removing from a .22lr barrel is lead and burnt powder, assuming you're not using any copper coated stuff which I don't. Mine shoots better dirty than clean.

If it is a .22LR and you are using subs then the occasional clean will surfice...not a fan of bore snakes myself but they do have a place, get a proper cleaning kit!! :thumbs: .......... you may not clean your car, check your tyres, oil, water, etc very often ..but I bet it feels better when you have!! :thumbs::thumbs:

i cant remember the last time i cleaned mine and even then it was just with a boresnake. so if its a cz like i have i would say only clean it when the accuracy starts to suffer but i would reccomend stripping the bolt down occasionally and give it a good clean.

got two .22 rimfires a marlin model 39 lever action and a winchester m1903 semi auto[made in 1918]both now retired except for the old plinking session down the gun club club since the advent of the 17hmr which suits my rabbiting style better.have never cleaned the barrel of the marlin which must have accounted for rabbits in the thousands in the last 20years or so .. the winchester i cleaned once and it took a hundred or so rounds before it forgave me and started to group again.an old gunsmith once told me more barrels are ruined by cleaning than neglect..not sure about that but i think as long as you dont let a .22 barrel rust it internally will take care of itself greasemonkey