Lamping last night.....

Hi all,

Well after a hard week of work and more to come on the weekend, thought I might as well get a nights lamping in while I can still stand. We had an order to fill for the rabbits, needed about 20 so hopedully we could drop on a few without much hastle!!

Anyway we were out on my mates muel, good bit of kit for lampng rabbits as its reasonable quiet and saves a lot of walking. First field we came to just the one lone rabbit bout 60 yds so easy shot with the .22. Next field we got to with a quick scan looked like there were a lot about, bit hard to see them though with the red lens, but essential in our area. Although it was blowing a gale we shot with reasonable success, hitting about 8/10 rabbits that we saw. After only 15 mins on the field we racked up 24 rabbits in quick succession.

As the order had been filled on the rabbits, we decided to go out on the foxes with the nightvision on the .223. First stop was the area that I keeper, havent had much hastle from the foxes but there were one or two causing a bit of bother. After a few blanks we lamped a large stubble field, that lovely glow appeared in the middle of the field, but was a fair way off. With the lamp off and nightvision on the fox didnt fancy the squeal so a long shot was taken, but sadly was a miss as fox went for a wonder at the wrong time. With a few swear words, and then a quick scan a second fox had appeared only 80 yds away, he was quickly shot and turned out to be a huge dog fox full of pheasant feathers. A good one to have!!!

Second fox of the night was on a small patch of ground that we shoot on, we squealed for about 5 mins and then a fox came trotting over the bank towards us. It soon popped up in the right place and was cleanly shot, a small vixen!!

With a lot ot trawling around between permission without much luck, it had quickly reached 1 o clock. After dropping the rabbits off at the game dealer, we made for home but had one last stop on the way back. This place is in a ideal valley with a small pheasant and duck shoot in the middle. Only problem for the shoot is that it seems to funnel foxes through it, we've shot countless foxes here but there just always seems to be more appearing. However the foxes are crafty with several people lamping the area. We quickly drove down the valley lamping either side, heading for the duck pool where several had been found dead a few days before. Sat about 140yds behind the pool was our fox sat quietly curled in a ball, this was unusual as they hardly ever sit quiet round here, but we didnt argue and within a matter of seconds the fox was cleanly shot. She turned out to be an old vixen with stumpy teeth, who obviously new the best place to be for an easy meal.

A cracking night out in the end, left at 8 got in at half 3, absolutely shattered this morning but well worth the night out. A few pics below of our night out.

SDC12491.jpg

Very glad to get this fox!!!

SDC12492.jpg

SDC12494.jpg

The last fox of the night, the old vixen!!

SDC12495.jpg

Good Hunting,

BB

Great read BB and an excellent nights shooting :yes: Can you tell me more about the first rifle please, the .22?

Shot in the dark :haha::haha:

10-22 or CZ....or ANSCHUTZ! :whistling::thumbs:

The NV looks a bit like the Trident...or COBRA! :whistling::thumbs:

but what do I know ..probably wrong on all counts.....I'll get my coat!! :bye:

Edited by Deker

The .22 is made by Anschutz with a hand made stock, the gun was bought second hand so was a lucky find really!!

The NV is a Cobra Sental 165, expensive bit of kit but well worth it when you get the call outs for the dodgy foxes.

Cheers,

BB